When Bay Path opened its doors to students in downtown Springfield, MA in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student. To start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and four satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord, Springfield), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: ACCTS
- Job Type: Full-time
- Hours: 37.50 a week
- Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Position Location: Longmeadow, MA
Job Summary: Perform general accounting functions
- Balance all cash receipts and credit card activity daily.
- Maintain daily/monthly cash flow files.
- Reconcile monthly bank statements and other general ledger accounts.
- Prepare and record monthly journal entries.
- Process certain budget transfer requests.
- Prepare on-line sales tax and performer withholding reports.
- Open new general ledger departments and accounts and add to budget worksheets and reports.
- Process monthly general ledger close and print all reports.
- Process foodservice and bookstore activity using blackboard.
- Print A/P checks and process positive pay transactions.
- Prepare abandoned property letters and annual report to the State.
- Perform annual 1042-S reporting.
- Assist others in the Business Office as needed, including backing up the Accounts Payable Specialist.
- Assist in annual audit and various University functions as needed.
- Attend trainings as required.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned by the University.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance and 1-3 years' experience in an accounting or finance environment, preferably in a university or non-profit setting or equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
- Ability to perform detailed work and produce accurate results.
- Strong analytical ability.
- Ability to work independently; organize and prioritize work assignments; perform work with frequent deadlines; and work efficiently and effectively with external pressure to complete assignments.
- Ability to work well in a team environment; establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, faculty, staff, students and vendors.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel; ability to use a 10-key and/or calculator effectively.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work evenings when necessary.
- If you operate a University owned, leased or personal vehicle at any time while performing your duties you must follow all policies and procedures outlined in the Operations Manual. You must have a valid driver's license and must successfully pass the online safe Driving Course and driving record check at time of hire and annually thereafter. Additionally, you must report any driving offense, on or off company time, which causes a loss, suspension, or any other change in your license status. You must report this change within one business day of the offense. You can report this change to the Human Resource Department or your direct supervisor. Failure to do so can lead to disciplinary action, up to and including terminations.
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion; demonstrated ability to build working relationships with people having a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences different from ones' own.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose, and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Bay Path University will become a smoke- and tobacco-free community as of July 1, 2018.
All offers of employment are contingent on satisfactory background checking.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter, resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.