Associate Director of Construction
Job ID: 24089
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Capital Outlay Project Mgmt
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Associate Director of Construction Management is responsible for oversight of various construction projects and delivery methods for new construction and facilities related improvements/renovations on campus. The incumbent also participates in annual and strategic planning of campus construction projects. The incumbent reviews engineering, logistic and administrative aspects of construction documents, manages design, contracts for construction service and construction phases of projects and assists in the overall management of the campus construction program. The incumbent also oversees Project Managers and other staff. This position is required to interface with a variety of Colleges and Departments including Senior Administrators, Chancellors Office officials, as well as Federal, State and local agencies.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Prepares and reviews detailed cost estimates and schedules; implements campus compliance policy and procedures; oversees the performance of construction contractors and professional consultants; and ensures work is completed according to construction plans, specifications, budget, and schedule; Responsible for coordinating and monitoring of Job Order Contracts (JOCs), CMSP and major capital projects.
- Establishes project standards and protocols; works with contractors and other professional consultants to ensure understanding of and compliance with all CSU and public works contracting laws and campus requirements.
- Assists in preparing project specifications for bidding and works in conjunction with Architects and planners to coordinate the bidding phase of projects. Coordinates with other campus personnel in the approval and management of construction contracts.
- Reviews engineering, architectural drawings and contract specifications for accuracy and completeness; evaluates/monitors project progress and ensures compliance with plans, material specifications, and schedule, tracks and controls construction cost against the project budget, process change orders, and participates in claims reviews.
- Responsible for all phases of project construction. Tracks the delivery of the construction products, oversees all construction meetings, provides direction in the implementation of the construction contract, and directs and monitors compliance with appropriate codes and regulations. Reviews and recommends approval on all contractor and consultant progress payment requests. Signs and approves field instructions, change proposals and change orders, as designated by the campus delegation of authority for capital projects
- Determines and oversees all required inspections and testing. Supervises construction inspectors and engineers and ensures the quality and timeliness of inspections and testing. Reviews and approves all project schedules submitted by the contractor to ensure minimum campus disruption and maximum cost compliance.
- Develops and oversees project close-out including agency approval, training, warranties, and certificate of completion, as-built records, and other requirements. Oversees post construction phases as required by SUAM including the commissioning process of newly installed systems and equipment.
- Conducts projects post completion assessments to determine if project objectives including initial financial considerations are met.
-Reviews contractors claims, negotiates settlements, and recommends action to the Director, Design & Construction Services.
-Conducts meetings with university representatives, project architects, engineers, general contractors, university officials, and state and federal agency representatives.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position may also require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position will be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience in management of large construction projects.
- Five years minimum full-time experience in the construction industry in a comparable position. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience in Construction Management
- Experience with construction in public sector
- Experience in CSU system
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local construction codes and building regulations, and the ability to independently interpret and implement these regulations as they apply to the University.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience in applying the principles, problems and methods of project management activities and construction oversight.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply extensive expertise to public works development methods, practices, and procedures.
- Experience and ability to prepare project budgets and analyze funding allocations. Ability to organize, plan, and coordinate work to meet established deadlines.
- Ability to review and understand design, schematic plans, specifications, and related construction documents.
- Ability to understand and interpret appropriate codes, rules and regulations related to construction, including compliance with appropriate safety and health regulations.
- Ability to oversee and manage multiple projects and programs, and monitor project master schedule and progress of construction activities.
- Ability to design, prepare, and maintain computerized databases, research, and interpret and evaluate results and correct computer data errors, providing clear and accurate reports.
- Ability to write prepare status reports, project meeting minutes, review requests for information and develop recommendations and process change orders.
- Proficiency in PC compatible software programs such as ProLog, Word, EXCEL, Access, and Project.
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
April 13, 2017
This position is open until filled.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046