Shuttle Bus Driver (10/12 Plan)
Job ID: 24188
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 6366
Department: Parking Services
Classification: Heavy Equipment Operator/Bus Driver
Salary Range: $2,689/month - $4,454/month (10/12 Salary Range)
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This position is at a 10/12 Pay Plan which means the incumbent will work 10 months and get 2 months off.*
Reporting to the Parking Services Lieutenant and receiving work lead direction from the Lead Shuttle Bus Driver, the shuttle bus driver transports students, faculty, staff and visitors between the South Campus Park & Ride lots and main campus. When shuttle service is not required, the shuttle bus driver assists with other duties, including parking facility maintenance, vehicle cleaning/maintenance and/or general office duties. The driver is also responsible for the safe operation of the shuttle buses which includes daily safety inspections, fueling/servicing and making minor repairs/adjustments as needed.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Drive shuttle buses and comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- Keep statistical data on ridership and complete daily inspection reports.
- Fuel and clean shuttle buses. Remove debris and trash.
- Turn in lost/found items and report suspicious circumstances/safety hazards in parking facilities and on designated bus routes.
- Assist with basic maintenance duties in parking facilities and with general office duties.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to one year of paid or regularly assigned driving experience in a job involving operating a delivery vehicle, truck, tractor, bus, or automotive maintenance equipment. Possess appropriate license for each vehicle operated and may be required by the State of California Vehicle Code to carry appropriate certification while driving. Drivers of State-owned vehicles must maintain a good driving record which will be checked periodically with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
One year or more of commercial driving experience operating a vehicle requiring a Commercial Class A or Commercial Class B drivers license with air brakes.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the rules of safe driving and the provisions of the State of California Vehicle Code as they pertain to the operation of shuttle buses.
- Knowledge of State of California General Industrial Safety orders related to vehicle operation.
- Ability to safely and efficiently operate an up-to-47-passenger bus.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards and follow practices and laws to insure safety.
- Ability to follow manuals and guidelines pertaining to the operation of State vehicles.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other people.
- Ability to service and make routine repairs of equipment operated.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to learn to operate basic office equipment and basic parking maintenance tools.
- Ability to assess traffic patterns and make route adjustments to facilitate bus service.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess a valid Commercial Class A or B California Driver's License endorsed for passengers and air brakes.
- Must have a valid medical certificate.
- Drivers of State-owned vehicles must maintain a good driving record which will be checked periodically with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Incumbent must be fingerprinted, pass a background investigation and drug test.
July 26, 2017
Application Screening begins August 14, 2017
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046