Job ID: 24216
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3084
Department: CASA Student Success Center
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Salary Range: $4,421/ month - $6,299/ month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Academic Advisor will work independently under general supervision to provide academic advising and related student academic support services for students in the College of Applied Sciences and Arts. The incumbent will also provide advising for students preparing to apply for graduation. Position responsibilities may include providing accurate, timely, and consistent academic advising to students; evaluating and assessing student needs; guiding and monitoring students that are at-risk; evaluating academic records towards degree requirement completion; advocating the needs of individual students and groups of students to university administrators, faculty and staff; hiring, training, and supervising peer advisors; and providing support and assistance to students facing a variety of personal as well as institutional problems, questions and challenges. The incumbent will utilize a variety of advising strategies and academic support services to insure student retention and success through graduation.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related and three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience.
A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience.
A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
1. Experience providing academic advising/personal counseling within a college or university setting.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of, sensitivity to, and experience in working with ethnically and culturally diverse student populations as well as low-income and first generation college students.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of the issues and experience with programs/ resources that support the retention and academic success of college students, particularly at risk student populations.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures including General Education requirements.
5. Experience providing academic advising to students preparing for graduation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience providing academic advising/personal counseling in a college or university setting
- Experience providing academic advising to undergraduate students preparing for graduation
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with students, staff, and faculty in a diverse and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Ability to manage stress, be flexible, and prioritize work tasks
- Strong coordination, planning, and organizational skills
- Experience with and sensitivity to working with diverse student populations and first-generation college students
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on complex academic success strategies; general knowledge of the principles of individual and group behavior
- Knowledge of software applications including word processing, spreadsheet, and database management
- Ability to quickly learn and effectively apply software and virtual applications and other resources used at SJSU to support student success
- Ability to quickly learn and effectively apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with programs and resources that support the retention and academic success of college students, particularly at risk student populations
- Ability to accurately disseminate detailed information
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality requirements and other ethical standards
- Experience hiring, training, and supervising student assistants
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Excellent work ethic
- Superior problem-solving and interpersonal interaction skills
- Experience organizing and conducting small-scale workshops and making effective presentations to groups
- Ability to collect, compile, analyze and evaluate data and make oral or written recommendations based on these data
August 18, 2017
This position is open until filled.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046