Police Officer Cadet
Job ID: 24234
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8346
Department: UPD Administrative Services
Classification: Police Officer Cadet
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This appointment is not expected to exceed seven months, or beyond the duration of the basic academy training, including the attainment of P.O.S.T. Certification and after being sworn in, you may be appointed as a Police Officer on a probationary basis.*
The Police Officer Cadet position exists specifically for the purpose of training the incumbent to develop the minimum qualifications necessary to become a sworn police officer. Typically, the candidate has not yet entered or completed the POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training) Basic Academy. If you are a Police Officer Cadet candidate who successfully completes the hiring process with the San Jose State University Police Department, you will be attending the POST Basic Academy. Upon successful completion of the Academy (within the required timeframe), and at the discretion of management, the Police Officer Cadet may be appointed to the classification of Police Officer.
The POST Basic Academy is an 888-hour course that satisfies all minimum required training mandates governed by POST or entry level Law Enforcement. The course includes fundamental principles, procedures and techniques of law enforcement, including: Criminal Law, Patrol Procedures, Cultural Diversity, Investigative Procedures, Report Writing, Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Leadership, Ethics, Community Relations, Police Vehicle Operations, Traffic Enforcement, Accident Investigation and First Aid/CPR. The course also includes a challenging program of physical conditioning that will prepare students for police service.
The Basic Academy will be conducted daily Monday through Friday with some evenings and weekends.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Attend the POST Basic Academy to learn the principles, practices, and theory of criminal and civil law enforcement and codified and case law.
- Participate in additional training in report writing, physical fitness techniques, firearms use and maintenance, and arrest and control techniques.
- Under close supervision, may assist other Police Officers in the performance of their duties.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited or approved U.S. high school or equivalent.
- Must have a valid California driver's license.
Applicants must also meet the following California Government Code requirements, including pre-employment polygraph, psychological and medical examinations.
- Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation (Government Code Section 1031(d)).
- Be free of any felony conviction and be free of any misdemeanor crime containing the elements of domestic violence (Government Code Section 1029 (a) (1)).
- Be free from any physical, emotional and mental condition which might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police office (Government Code Section 1031 (f)).
- Minimum passing T-score of 320 on the WSTB physical agility test. (http://eventbrite.com/org/148774180?s=1102042). Score must be dated within one year of applying to this position. Please note that the San Jose State University Police Department DOES NOT administer the physical agility test. Applicants are required to complete this test and the remaining minimum requirements BEFORE applying for the position of Police Cadet. For further information, please visit http://www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
- 39 semester college units or equivalent
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to qualify for and satisfactorily meet the standards of the Academy.
- Mental capacity, physical agility and learning potential to perform all aspects of POST training and police.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to observe and report details under stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations.
- Excellent customer service skills.
August 31, 2017
Application Screening begins October 2, 2017
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of Interest
WSTB Physical Agility Score
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application to apply, please visit our website at: http://my.sjsu.edu/jobs/
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Evidence of degree(s) or certification(s) may be required at time of hire. Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to submit their fingerprints to the Live Scan Prints Service through the University's Police Department. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.