Job ID: 24235
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8350
Department: UPD Field Operations
Classification: Police Officer
Salary Range: $4,682/month - $7,235/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Police Officers for the San Jose State University Police Department are fully sworn State of California peace officers per 830.2(c) PC and are part of the California State University Police system. Officers have full peace officer powers anywhere in California. They respond to calls for service on and around the SJSU campus. Through preventive patrol by vehicle, bicycle, motorcycle and foot, officers enforce state laws, city ordinances and university regulations. Police Officers conduct criminal and traffic investigations, make arrests, prepare necessary documents and testify in court. Officers also provide for the safety and security of the campus community. The work environment for Police Officers varies throughout the work shift and includes working outdoors, in an office setting and in a motor vehicle. Work shifts will vary and will include nights/weekends throughout the calendar year. University Police Officers must meet all the appropriate physical demands as defined by POST.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Patrol campus buildings and grounds by foot or by vehicle.
- Control crowds during assemblies or disturbances.
- Enforce laws and traffic regulations and apprehend violators, which include enforcing parking regulations and issuing traffic citations.
- Investigate and prepare reports on accidents, property damage, fires, law violations, and disturbances of the peace.
- Gather evidence, make arrests and appear in court as required.
- Administer first aid to injured persons.
- Police Officers may receive training and/or be delegated responsibility for additional work assignments
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited or approved U.S. high school or equivalent
- Graduation from a California POST certified Basic Police Academy within the last 3 years or; Possess a valid California POST Basic Certificate. For out-of-state applicants, a copy of the California POST waiver document or; Have been employed by a California law enforcement agency as a police officer/deputy within the last 3 years.
Please note that the San Jose State University Police Department DOES NOT administer the physical agility test. Applicants are required to complete this test and the remaining minimum requirements BEFORE applying for the position of Police Officer. For further information, please visit http://www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests.
Applicants must also meet the following California Government Code requirements, including pre-employment polygraph, psychological and medical examinations:
- Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation (Government Code Section 1031(d)).
- Be free of any felony conviction and be free of any misdemeanor crime containing the elements of domestic violence (Government Code Section 1029(a)(1)).
- Be free from any physical, emotional and mental condition which might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer. (Government Code Section 1031(f)).
- Minimum passing T-score of 320 on the WSTB physical agility test. (http://eventbrite.com/org/148774180?s=1102042). Score must be dated within one year of applying to this position. Please note that the San Jose State University Police Department DOES NOT administer the physical agility test. Applicants are required to complete this test and the remaining minimum requirements BEFORE applying for the position of Police Officer. For further information, please visit http://www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests.
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- 60 semester college units or equivalent
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of current law enforcement methods, techniques and procedures, criminal codes and laws, and investigating techniques and procedures.
- Effective interpersonal skills to resolve a wide variety of sensitive situations
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to write clear and comprehensive reports
- Demonstrated ability to think and act effectively in emergency and sensitive situations
- Ability to wear a uniform and utility belt
- Ability to maintain composure in highly stressful and sometimes volatile situations.
- Ability to perform in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communication with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills
August 31, 2017
Application Screening begins October 2, 2017.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please send the following items directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- POST Basic Certificate or proof of completion of the Police Academy or POST waiver document
- WSTB Score
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Evidence of degree(s) or certification(s) may be required at time of hire. Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to submit their fingerprints to the Live Scan Prints Service through the University's Police Department. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046