Associate Athletic Director for Annual Giving
Job ID: 24267
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Athletics Advancement
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Associate Athletic Director for Annual Giving is responsible for identifying and prioritizing donor prospects, working with a portfolio of assigned prospects to engage and solicit support, developing fundraising strategies, and collaborating with Annual Giving and Special Gifts Office to design and manage annual giving appeals. The Associate Athletic Director maintains and grows annual fund support for Athletics and the development, implementation, management, and refinement of programs that engage and encourage participation of alumni, students, faculty, staff, parents, and friends in supporting SJSU Athletics. The incumbent manages the donor relations officer position, complex project planning, management and evaluation of Annual Giving direct-marketing appeals (phone, print, email, social media), and reaches constituents through a highly coordinated series of multichannel online, email, direct mail, and personal contact solicitations in order to solicit and increase philanthropic support for SJSU Athletics. The incumbent has key responsibility for donor relations and stewardship activities and programs within the department and participates in Athletic programs and events that engage and connect alumni.
To apply for this position, visit: http://opportunities.aspenleadershipgroup.com
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
A minimum of three years of related development experience, preferably, in an educational institute is required for this position as is a Bachelors Degree from a four-year college or university. An advanced degree is desirable.
- Experience with design, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive athletics annual giving program, establishing goals and objectives that translate into operating plans;
- Experience with NCAA Division 1 intercollegiate athletics
- Experience with NCAA and conference guidelines and policies, rules and regulations
- Experience engaging and supporting volunteer leadership in their fundraising efforts
- Excellent written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising and the ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles and practices of fundraising for higher education and superior knowledge of the best practices within the athletics annual giving field.
- Ability to design, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive athletics annual giving program, establishing goals and objectives that translate into operating plans.
- Knowledge of best practices within the athletics annual giving field.
- Ability to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects/donors and effectively move prospects through the development cycle.
- Sensitivity and understanding of Title IX issues, and an innate ability to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of NCAA Division 1 intercollegiate athletics.
- Knowledge of NCAA and conference guidelines, policies, rules and regulations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Strong customer service ethic; knowledge of donor-driven customer service and stewardship practices.
- Ability to recognize opportunities, identify high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.
- Ability to develop and initiate new strategies.
- Skilled at articulating compelling cases for major gifts and annual discretionary support.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a diverse constituency and all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work cooperatively and supportively with colleagues, in varied teams, as well as, independently.
- Ability to effectively present material and respond to queries from constituents and the public.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of alumni and donors in order to develop relationships between them and the university.
September 14, 2017
Application Screening begins immediately.
Required Application Material:
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and rsum. Before submitting your materials, please read them over for accuracy. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
To apply for this position, visit: http://opportunities.aspenleadershipgroup.com.
To nominate a candidate, please contact Anne Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046