Job ID: 24294
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 6223
Department: Housing Building Maintenance
Salary Range: $2,789/month - $4,619/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Under general supervision of Associate Director for Facilities Operations, the Laborer primarily performs general unskilled manual labor, which includes a variety of general repair work and preventive maintenance that does not require journey-level skills, assisting with moving/relocation scheduled work requests, uses powered or non-powered cleaning and materials handling equipment and delivery trucks. Performs other tasks such as the collection, segregation and recycling of various materials, the set up and break down of tables, chairs and canopies, the movement of furniture within/to/from an office, assists with relocation needs due to repairs and the set up and break down for annual Admitted Spartan Day and Opening Days. Performs all duties in their specific assigned work area and is responsible for performing duties in other work areas as needed. Work areas are located within the residential facilities and/or administrative offices and includes the Classics residence halls, the Campus Village residential facilities and/or the trash/recycling rooms. These duties also involve general non-maintenance repair work. This position independently performs a variety of semi-skilled facilities operations functions. Incumbents are responsible for maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of their work areas. The Laborer is required to use safe, approved methods, and frequencies, which have been approved by University Housing Services. This position will work an alternative work schedule.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- General Repair and Maintenance
- Moving of Furniture, Files and Set Up Events
- Preventive Maintenance
- Coordinate Residential Facilities Recycling Needs
- Maintain Appearance and Cleanliness of Residential Facilities
- Motorized Equipment Usage
Education and Experience
Ability to read and write at a level appropriate for the duties of the position and follow verbal and written instructions to ensure safety; perform regular strenuous manual labor; and safely move heavy items in excess of 50 lbs.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent training
- 2 years of experience in appliance and furniture repair
- One year of experience as a mover
- Experience in a University or Residential environment
- Experience using a computer in a work environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to exercise care and follow instructions when using motorized equipment as well as follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to multi-task to support the One Stop Shop model of Higher Education Customer Service and coordinate deadlines.
- Ability to use proper equipment including manual and motorized pallet jack, various size hand and flat trucks, forklift, panel carts, electric carts, state vehicle with lift gate, etc.
- Ability to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Ability to safely move heavy items in excess of 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate boom and scissor lift.
- Ability to use pressure washing equipment.
- Ability to perform complex tasks involving independent judgment, accuracy and speed.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply policies and regulations in specific situations.
- Ability to observe rules, regulations and expectations to ensure a safe working environment.
- Ability to work alone as well as with other staff when assigned to do so.
- Ability to work flexible hours, weekdays and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to handle a high degree of customer contact.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to work alternative work schedule including weekdays, weekends and some holidays
- Ability to complete Defensive Drivers Training Program provided by State of California for CSU campuses.
- Ability to complete and pass certification for Forklift Training.
October 6, 2017
Application Screening begins October 30, 2017 .
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046