Director of Development for Intercollegiate Athletics
Job ID: 24318
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Athletics Advancement
About the Position
The Director of Development for Intercollegiate Athletics is expected to collaborate effectively with Athletics to implement strategies to secure philanthropic support for San Jose State University fundraising priorities and, in addition, to the SJSU's men's and women's athletics and athletics facilities. The incumbent focuses on implementing strategies to secure philanthropic support for San Jos State University fundraising priorities identified by the University's leadership in collaboration with the Athletics Advancement Office in the Division of University Advancement.
The incumbent is responsible for actively managing a prospect/donor portfolio with annual goals for personal visits and fundraising outcomes based on metrics established by the Associate Athletics Director for Major Gifts; develop and execute sound strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift prospects/donors - initiate contact, develop appropriate timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; work collaboratively with the leadership of colleges, key university donor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategy; work collaboratively with peers in Major Gifts as well as colleagues in Annual Giving, Planned Giving, and Corporate and Foundation Relations.
This position works with volunteer leadership providing them direction and support in maximizing Intercollegiate Athletics major gift fundraising potential; focus on securing funding for designated priorities including academic programs, scholarships, unrestricted support, facility renovations, new facilities and other specified priorities; collaborate with stewardship colleagues with donor stewardship efforts particularly pertaining to Athletics and help promote a culture of gratitude among internal and external constituents.
To apply for this position, visit: http://opportunities.aspenleadershipgroup.com
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree from accredited institution and three years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising or comparable field.
- Experience developing donor (or client) - centric solicitation strategies leading to closing major gifts (or accounts)
- Fundraising experience in capital or comprehensive campaign setting, preferably in an NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics environment
- Experience engaging and supporting volunteer leadership in their fundraising efforts
- Evidence of strong written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of both men and women's intercollegiate athletics
- Knowledge of the dynamics that athletes and coaches must navigate in higher education
- Knowledge of NCAA Division 1 intercollegiate athletics
- Knowledge of NCAA and conference guidelines, policies, rules and regulations
- Sensitivity and understanding of Title IX issues, and an innate ability to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to identify donors and close gifts of six and seven figures
- Skillful in networking and opening doors as well as developing donor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Ability to navigate the institution/assigned unit and make the appropriate match for donor interests.
- Ability to engage and support volunteer leadership with their efforts in fundraising, consultation, and advocacy
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a collaborative team
- Unquestionable integrity and commitment to professional ethics
- High level of initiative, attention to detail, and organization skills
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Skillful in successfully managing multiple projects on tight deadlines and under pressure in a dynamic and open environment
- Ability to define problems, gather data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Proficient in Google docs and ability to learn tech platforms as needed
- Ability to be flexibility and strong customer service ethic
- Knowledge of the academic enterprise and the ability to articulate academic values internally and externally
October 31, 2017
Application Screening begins immediately.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and rsum. Before submitting your materials, please read them over for accuracy. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
To apply for this position, visit: http://opportunities.aspenleadershipgroup.com.
To nominate a candidate, please contact Anne Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046