Job ID: 24338
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Parking Services
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting directly to the Administrative Bureau Captain, the Parking Manager is responsible for the overall operation of all Parking Services functions including; business operations, field operations, citation collections, parking enforcement and shuttle operations. Makes independent decisions and resolves customer service issues. Updates superiors with pertinent information regarding problems or irregularities. Represents SJSU Parking Services and acts as a liaison between the community and Parking Services in an effort to promote excellent customer service and strengthen the image of the department.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees recruitment and hiring for all Parking Services Division positions
- Develops initiatives and changes to improve quality and services within Parking Services.
- Identifies and determines cause of problems; develops and implements improvement of established processes and practices, initiates and implements plans to solve problems.
- Maximizes productivity through the use of appropriate tools; develops resources that create timely and efficient workflow; develops and recommends budget.
- Prepares progress reports, informs superiors of project status and deviation from goals; prepares activity reports for management guidance.
- Develops, communicates, and maintains guidelines and procedures to support the functions of Parking Services.
- Oversees the coordination of University Special Events requiring parking. Meets with individuals, campus departments, community groups, to determine parking staffing levels and notifies other departments as needed.
- Ensures that Parking Citation Administrative Appeals are processed timely and in a fair and equitable manner.
- Ensures that citation fines are collected, deposited and recorded in an effective manner.
- Oversees the development of effective bus routes and schedules.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree or equivalence in Business Management or a related field and three or more years of progressively responsible management/supervision experience preferably with a large public or private parking operation.
- Experience in budget planning, parking facilities operations, personnel and collective bargaining agreements.
- Experience with PeopleSoft.
- Experience with various electronic parking operations technologies including parking-specific software programs, electronic handheld ticket writers, electronic signage, automated pay stations, and revenue control equipment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations.
- Ability to write reports business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, rations, and proportions.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge and ability to apply the principles, practices and procedures of parking enforcement.
- Advanced knowledge of pertinent Federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances; causative factors contributory to crime and delinquency.
- Ability to make sound decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relations with the general public, subordinates, and superiors.
- Ability to plan, assign, and supervise the work of other employees.
- Skill in leading and motivating personnel.
- Ability to analyze situations and adopt an effective course of action.
- Advanced knowledge of Federal and State regulations affecting programs.
- Ability to direct, control, plan, and organize activities.
- Ability to conduct effective meetings.
November 19, 2017
Application Screening begins December 18, 2017
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046