Regulatory Compliance Specialist
Job ID: 24352
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 5182
Department: IES Central Administration
Classification: Extended Education Specialist II
Salary Range: $4,892/month - $6,978/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Associate Dean of the College of International and Extended Studies, the Regulatory Compliance Specialist will serve as the focal point for all compliance activities for the College of International and Extended Studies (CIES) and is responsible for the interpretation and implementation of system level executive orders, policies and procedures applicable to the college and the university programs; preparing policy analyses and recommendations; defining goals and objectives for functional areas; and ensuring compliance with applicable laws at federal, state, local, and institutional levels.
The incumbent consults and collaborates with the college leadership team to ensure preparedness and responsiveness to audit requests and meeting reporting deadlines to all external and internal stakeholders. The incumbent serves as the subject matter expert on regulatory issues and monitors, interprets and analyzes statutes and regulatory requirements; provides direction and develops implementation plans; maintains documentation of proof of compliance regarding executive orders, laws and regulations applicable to higher education institutions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Researches regulation definitions on applicable laws, executive orders, policies and procedures related to approval or licensure requirements in international and extended education.
- Oversees compliance functions and ensure program delivery activities follow all applicable laws and regulations.
- Tracks state-level legislative activities that affect San Jos State University's operations in other states and national-level legislation associated with online education practices.
- Manages the application and reporting processes for operating and degree-granting authority from state boards of higher education, including but not limited to, distance education requirements.
- Develops, initiates, and maintains international agreements, state authorization applications, reporting and continued compliance.
- Creates and maintains tools for tracking and reporting on regulatory changes, and keeps database accurately updated to reflect changes in executive orders and state authorization status.
- Compiles information to create documentation necessary to comply with renewal or initial approval process for state authorization applications with accuracy and within strict deadlines.
- Maintains records, provides information required for decision-making and complete related reports.
- Prepares statistical reports, maintains files, and monitors assigned budget allocation.
- Provides consultative guidance pertaining to risk assessment, regulatory requirements affecting academic and business operations, and implementation of such requirements.
- Develops, coordinates and participates in educational and training programs that seek to ensure all CIES staff and campus partners are knowledgeable of the elements of the compliance activities.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university, preferably with courses in adult education and curriculum planning. Equivalent to three years of experience in planning classes and curriculum for higher or extended education programs and including developing resources, budgets, marketing plans and liaison with the community.
- J.D. or Paralegal certification/degree
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in relevant field (e.g., regulatory, legal, or compliance).
- Experience in compliance process improvement.
- Experience in higher education environment.
- Experience with online education and faculty/curricular issues.
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills (based on application materials).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations related to continuing and higher education.
- Knowledge coordinating project initiatives and maintaining project files
- Knowledgeable and skilled in using technology and software (e.g., productivity tools such as Microsoft Office and CRM).
- Skills to interpret and ensure compliance with requirements and providing concise analysis and recommendations.
- Leadership and decision-making skills to evaluate program/student needs, problem solve, and train other staff.
- Functional expertise and demonstrated success in working with regulatory compliance issues.
- Excellent persuasion skills in working with state regulators pertaining to the unique needs/challenges of online education and to facilitate gaining approvals to operate.
- Skilled in project management from interpretation, analysis, implementation, deployment, assessment, and refinement.
- Strong analytical, research, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Skilled in giving presentations to diverse audiences and work cooperatively with internal stakeholders and external organizations.
- Ability to read, interpret, and analyze regulations and policies in general and associated with institutional authorization and program approval.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment while remaining attentive to detail.
December 4, 2017
Application Screening begins December 20, 2017
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046