Health Services Analyst
Job ID: 24349
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: Student Health Center
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt I
Salary Range: $3,897/month - $6,453/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Student Health Center Director, and receiving work direction from the Senior Operations Officer, the Health Services Analyst works to establish, maintain, and monitor the medical record keeping policies and procedures, ensuring reliability and confidentiality. The incumbent performs associated records functions, such as determining the appropriate release of confidential medical records, preparation for unit accreditation, and support of (limited) 3rd party billing. The position also serves as backup for operational and technical support, marketing and public relations support and financial and technical support. Overall, collaboratively supporting student success is the key purpose of this position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop presentations to promote services and new programs in a timely and appropriate manner to students, faculty, administrators, parents, campus units and visitors.
- Researches, analyzes, and monitors patient access needs, identifies barriers and recommends solutions.
- Oversees facility, web and telephone communications to students, parents, campus community and visitors on access and hours of operations.
- Serves as backup for medical records and subpoena requests
- University immunization compliance support
- Develops, maintains, and updates SHC record keeping policies and procedures to ensure legal and accreditation compliance.
- Continuously reviews effectiveness of unit response in providing quality customer service for students and SHC staff, particularly nursing and medical staff.
- Oversees policies and procedures for any release of confidential records or gathering of records for peer review or other internal study efforts.
- Serves as an advisor and resource for interpreting and meeting confidentiality regulations and laws.
- Develops and implements administrative protocols for patient billing, inquiries and disputes.
- Oversees SHC satellite cashiering functions and ensures compliance with CSU and SJSU financial audits.
- Analyzes, evaluates, researches and provides recommendations on fee structure issues and options.
- Provides leadership and support in effective use of campus and department databases.
- Supports proper handling of cash intake and accounting.
- Inputs and maintains providers' schedules and works in partnership with the Nursing Supervisor (and the Patient Management Group) to make changes as needed.
- Conducts data collection and analysis as needed.
- Advises and works with campus units/groups to create and maintain cooperative marketing channels and maintain effective working relationships
- Coordinates, instructs, guides, checks, monitors the work of others in order to maintain levels of productivity and quantity.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Two years in a medical environment (health/medical records, reception)
- Experience working with an electronic health records system
- Experience in health/medical records team/leadership role
- Knowledge and experience with HIPAA
- Experience with Microsoft Office
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Knowledge of software applications such as medical records databases, electronic record keeping, web-based service delivery, enterprise software, word processing, and spreadsheet.
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot office administration problems and respond from a consistent customer service approach to all inquiries and requests related to work area.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to collaboratively handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and guide the work of others.
- Ability to effectively plan, assign, coordinate, and lead a variety of fiscal functions.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment, make constructive recommendations, interpret and apply fiscal policies and procedures, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Expertise in investigating and analyzing problems with a broad administrative impact and implications.
- Ability to train others on new skills and procedures and provide work direction.
- Ability to make timely decisions and perform a wide variety of administrative duties independently.
December 4, 2017
Application Screening begins December 20, 2017
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046