Library Security Officer
Job ID: 24362
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8820
Department: MLK Library Security
Classification: Community Service Specialist I
Anticipated Salary: $3,685/month
Salary Range: $2,489/month - $4,119/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Library Security Officer reports to, and receives supervision from, the Library Security Manager. The Library Security Officer is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for the patrons, staff, collections, and facilities of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. library.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform foot patrol of the Library Building and Grounds
- Encourage compliance with library policy
- Report suspected hazards and criminal behavior
- Provide assistance to patrons and staff as requested
- Respond to alarms and other calls for service
- Write Police Reports
- Monitor building entrances/exits from a posted position
- Respond to alarms from theft detection devices
- Provide information to patrons coming to the library
- Create a professional atmosphere that both comforts patrons and deters criminal activity
- Monitor Library Security Control Room
- Monitor Closed Circuit Television surveillance system
- Monitor Integrated Security System and Alarms
- Monitor Elevator Command Computer System
- Operate Radio Base Station for Security Officers and UPD
After appointment, Library Security Officers must successfully complete the appropriate training program designed by the University Police Department.
The Library Security Officer must have the ability to walk, stand, sit, see in appropriate color vision, hear in an appropriate range of sounds, balance, climb, twist, bend, and reach with hands and arms. Assignments will require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time, and may be indoors or outdoors. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment.
The work environment is a multi-story library building and the exterior walkways and access ways. Any indoor assignment may require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time. Employees may be exposed to weather conditions and outdoor temperatures. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment. Incumbents are assigned to shift work and rotated among various assignments.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid California Driver's License
Must successfully complete a University Police Background investigation, which includes fingerprinting. Must not have been convicted of a felony in this state or any other, or convicted of any federal violation, which would have been a felony if committed in this state. Qualified applicants will be required to pass a written test in order to advance to the interview stage.
- Six months previous police/security/military law enforcement training and/or experience
- Library Security Experience
- Customer Services Experience
- Strong written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to learn, quickly learn, understand, and apply specific San Jose State University and City of San Jose rules and regulations
- Ability to understand and apply local, state and federal laws
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn to use, applicable public safety equipment and systems
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to understand and operate a computer card key badging station
- Ability to understand and operate an InfoGraphics Alarms system
- Ability to learn Police 10 code
- Ability to use a handheld radio communication system
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural and socio-economic community environment
- Ability to monitor CCTV screens for extended periods
- Ability to act calmly and rationally in emergency situations
December 7, 2017
Application Screening begins January 4, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046