Student Engagement Coordinator
Job ID: 24374
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3084
Department: Student Involvement
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Salary Range: $4,288/month - $6,109/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Student Engagement Coordinator fosters and develops a community of success and engagement through managing the recognized student organization process with the platform, designing trainings, providing consultations for student organizations and advisors, and overseeing expectations, guidelines, policies and procedures for student organizations. The incumbent works collaboratively with the Student Leadership Coordinator to ensure the quality, development, and success of SJSU student organizations. This Student Engagement Coordinator works with the other members of the student engagement team to provide related campus activities and programming.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Support student organization advisors by providing the necessary tools to successfully advise groups (trainings, informational meetings, newsletters, policy updates/reminders etc.).
- Coordinate the Fall and Spring Student Organization Fair
- Develop and coordinate the annual award process for the Leadership Awards Gala.
- Develop and implement yearly transition and California State University (CSU) mandated training for student organizations.
- Develop and implement curriculum for training and development for student organizations and advisors.
- Assist in the coordination of the Leadership Conference in collaboration with the Leadership Coordinator.
- Serve as a liaison to student organizations for technology platform for organization management.
- Provide developmental consultation to support student organizations.
- Serve as a resource for issues that may arise in organizations such as community building, wellness education, risk management, crisis intervention, policy development, student rights and responsibilities, etc.
- Oversees recognition process for student organizations.
- Provide support for Student Involvement programs and sponsored activities, including but not limited to Weeks of Welcome, Homecoming, and Finals Programming.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related and three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
- Master's Degree
- Experience with student organizations
- Experience advising students
- Experience with technology platforms
- Experience with campus programming
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to provide consultation to multiple student organizations and familiarity with compliance issues relevant to student organizations.
- Knowledge of leadership development theory and best practices.
- Knowledge of social justice program models and theories.
- Knowledge of student transition and development theories.
- Knowledge of compliance issues relevant to student organizations (i.e., hazing, alcohol, recruitment, Title IX, etc.).
- Skilled in developing training opportunities for student leaders.
- Demonstrated proactive leadership in development of student affairs programs and collaborative relationships.
- Ability initiate, plan, implement, and evaluate events as well as ongoing programmatic efforts.
- Ability to work both independently and with groups to assess needs, develop strategies, and implement programs.
- Ability to develop and implement strategic planning and outcome-driven assessment efforts.
- Ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty and staff in a wide variety of university committees, departments and/or student organizations to develop and implement programmatic initiatives.
- Ability to effectively train, develop, and supervise student staff.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge in program scheduling and content development, facilities reservations, informal 1:1 or group advising of students or student groups.
- Ability to assist with resolving interpersonal issues affecting clubs or student organizations.
- Ability to advise students individually or in groups on routine matters, and general knowledge of principles of individual and group behavior.
- Ability to have independent judgment and specialized analysis.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and present relevant findings to inform program improvements.
December 18, 2017
Application Screening begins January 16, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046