Director, Media Production Services & Instructional & Meeting Spaces
Job ID: 24385
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3306
Department: Collaboration & Acad Tech Svcs
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Director, Media Production Services & Instructional & Meeting Spaces Services reports to the Director, Collaboration & Academic Technology Services and is responsible for supervision and management of staff and projects assigned to the team.
This position is responsible for managing Media Production Services and Instructional & Meeting Spaces Support Departments. The incumbent serves as a member of the IT Leadership Team and works in collaboration with leaders in IT and other divisions to support the University's strategic plan. The Director identifies, assigns, and prioritizes work assignments for staff; and recruits and trains staff and student assistants. The incumbent collaborates with staff on project assignments, and with directors on staff issues, concerns and staff development. Annual performance evaluations and professional development of staff are part of these duties.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides leadership for the technology directions and strategies for the Media Production Services Department to meet the vision, mission and needs of IT and service to the University.
- Develop appropriate goals, plans, procedures and strategies to maintain services provided for Media Production Services to include services as audio/video services, photography and multimedia production, streaming video course delivery, and delivery of faculty, staff and peer mentor development.
- Develop appropriate goals, plans, and strategies to maintain and implement current and effective instructional technology facilities as technological innovations become available.
Instructional & Meeting Spaces
- Develop appropriate goals, plans, procedures and strategies to maintain services provided for Instructional & Meeting Spaces Support to include services as, classrooms, videoconferencing, and delivery of faculty, staff and peer mentor development.
- Develop an implementation plan for classroom technology using current and emerging technology and designing experimental classroom facilities where vendor products can be evaluated, used as prototypes, and demonstrated to the campus community as appropriate.
- Communicate the IT mission, vision, and priorities to the department team.
- Ensure all employees have clear position descriptions, annual goals and objectives, and development plans. Goals and development plans should be reviewed with employee on a quarterly basis.
- Provide ongoing coaching and feedback to employees through regularly scheduled one-on-one and ongoing interaction.
- Provide annual written performance evaluations and specific coaching on developmental areas.
- Develop and maintain annual workforce plan defining capacity of roles and necessary skill development to provide defined services within Service Level Agreements (SLA) and improve customer satisfaction.
- Recruit, interview, select, and train required staff and student assistants to meet ongoing workforce plan and staffing funding.
- Ensure the appropriate CSU and SJSU University Personnel Resources, and IT policies and practices are implemented.
Information Technology Management:
- Represent Information Technology (IT) in various collaborative campus venues, leveraging them as additional input sources for planning.
- Serve as a member of the IT Leadership Team and contribute to regularly scheduled management meetings.
- Function as a role model and mentor to IT employees.
- Support leadership development and growth of organization.
- Improve organizational level of maturity in relation to people, process and measurement.
- Assure end-users experience is considered as a key component in any technology service upgraded or introduced.
- Meet departmental budget guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with all financial procedures and expenditures do not exceed the resources available.
- Participate and contribute in other work related activities as assigned by the Director, Collaboration & Academic Technology Services.
- Management implementation and operating experience with Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) operations, procedures and process.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 3 years of experience implementing and operating a customer-centric support system
- 3 years of experience supervising and training staff
- 3 years of experience delivering technology support (i.e. academic, desktop, operations, etc.) and services in a University setting
- 5 years of experience implementing and operating a customer centric support system.
- 5 years of experience supervising and training staff.
- 3 years of experience with ITIL operations, procedures and processes.
- 5 years of experience delivering technology support (i.e. academic, desktop, operating, media production, etc.) and services in a University setting.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of media production and distribution processes and technologies.
- Knowledge of multimedia production in an academic environment.
- Thorough knowledge of application of technology to instruction.
- Ability to manage people with increasing responsibilities managing information technology professionals.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in a broad range of technology within a complex enterprise computing environment or a university environment
- Demonstrated experience hiring, coaching and developing a technical and customer service team.
- Proven commitment to promoting and maintaining a service-oriented culture that also supports a learning organization where knowledge, competence and performance are encouraged and positively impact business results.
- Possess a balance of highly developed management skills as well as specialized technical expertise.
- Effective interpersonal skills coupled with the ability to develop an environment that promotes partnership and transparency with other organizations.
- Ability to manage and motivate technical staff members.
- High ethical standards and business acumen.
- Management or engineering experience implementing, operating and enhancing customer centric support system, processes and service teams include desktop
- Management implementation and operating experience with ITIL operations, procedures and process
- Ability to manage organizational budgets and track ongoing expenses with budget.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to collect and analyze data and information, draw conclusions, and produce reports and recommendations.
- Ability to reason logically and analyze and solve organizational and managerial problems.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and independently implement administrative decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with a wide variety of officials and coworkers.
- Working knowledge of personnel policies in higher education.
December 21, 2017
Application Screening begins January 4, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046