Applications Programmer Analyst
Job ID: 24387
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 0400
Department: Enterprise Systems
Classification: Analyst/Programmer - Foundation
Salary Range: $3,470/month - $6,114/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of Enterprise Systems, the Applications Programmer Analyst is responsible for analyzing, enhancing, developing, installing, testing, and modifying enterprise-wide and stand-alone business applications.
This position will provide technical application support for existing JEE and C# systems and assist in the development of system solutions. The Programmer/Analyst will support the Systems and Programming team and work under the technical guidance of the senior C# and JEE programmer analyst for writing and maintaining application programs, coding from documented specifications or gathering requirements and documenting technical specifications. The incumbent will also create and support automated tests for quality assurance of the supported applications.
Under the guidance of the lead programmer
- Consult with users to identify and document software/system purpose, work flow issues, and output needs.
- Coordinates with IT lead in establishing and administering policies, development standards, and procedures
- Develops specifications and requirements for the optimal integration and implementation of solutions
Assist lead programmer with
- Design, builds, analysis, enhancement, debugging, testing, and maintenance of existing C# and JEE applications.
- Use JEE and C# ASP.net frameworks, and other industry standard programming languages, development and runtime environments to program and support enterprise applications and various reports.
- Create application program documentation including technical specifications, system architecture, deployment and support plans; develop, enhance, and document custom programs that interface with key business system packages;
- Write SQL statements and scripts, SQR programs as required.
- Develop efficient database manipulation code to ensure reliable and consistent result sets.
Quality Assurance of SJSU applications:
- Test system changes and debug code
- Create and document use and test cases
- Translate technical requirements to test cases/plans
- Develop automated test scripts
- Provide application support for SJSU's existing systems,
- Execute preventative maintenance solutions
Production Control and Monitoring of SJSU Application
- Track, monitor, and close production support issues escalated from the help desk and document activities and solutions
- Assist the lead programmer with change control and application deployment activities
- Setup/Configure ASP.net and JEE environments, including IDEs, code repositories, and web/app server configurations.
- Administer Web/App servers in development and document procedures for production deployment.
- Create and Deploy application packages (ears, wars).
- Ensure the efficient operation of production systems including database, application and web servers - review system and application logs, monitor or runs daily batch jobs and file processing.
- Research and evaluate problems or technologies outside current knowledge or experience.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree in a related field by the date of hire or equivalent relevant experience is required.
- Experience with C#/ASP.net and/or JEE platforms.
- Experience with Object Oriented development using JEE or Asp.net frameworks (e.g. Struts, Spring, MVC.net,) IDE (Eclipse, Visual Studio,) ORM (Hibernate) and web application server (e.g. JBoss, Tomcat, IIS) environments.
- Experience with databases data base management system software (e.g., Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL software ;) to support and maintain data and/or to run queries.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of C#/ASP.net and/or JEE platforms
- Working knowledge of Object Oriented development using JEE or Asp.net frameworks (e.g. Struts, Spring, MVC.net,) IDE (Eclipse, Visual Studio,) ORM (Hibernate) and web application server (e.g. JBoss, Tomcat, IIS) environments.
- Proven understanding of relational databases data base management system software (e.g., Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL software ;) to support and maintain data and/or to run queries.
- Knowledge of common software development methodologies preferably Agile and Waterfall
- Working knowledge of Quality assurance and quality control methodologies in order to comply with established standards.
- Working knowledge of Application deployment methodologies in order to effectively deploy the developed application.- Working knowledge of various database access methods to troubleshoot problems and advise users and collaborate with DBAs and application developers.
- Identify problems, draw valid conclusions, and develop effective solutions to troubleshoot and assist with application and performance issues.
- Consultative skills to assess user needs and communicate technology systems and solutions
- Skill to analyze data and situations, reason logically and creatively to troubleshoot, develop programs and assist developers.
- Proficiency in management of multiple priorities to produce quality products for customers.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with various individuals to ensure a cohesive working environment.
- Work independently and in a team environment to ensure work activities are completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Apply creative solutions to business problems to ensure business needs are effectively met.
- Communicate with diverse individuals in a tactful and professional manner to ensure information is relayed accurately.
- Keep current with continually evolving and changing technologies.
- Implement local system software modifications to install updates, patches/fixes.
- Grasp new concepts in order to keep up with changes in the industry.
- Strong communication skills - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience
January 4, 2018
Application Screening begins January 19, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046