Accounts Payable Technician
Job ID: 24394
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1741
Department: Accounts Payable
Classification: Accounting Technician II
Salary Range: $3,010/month - $4,986/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Under the general supervision of the Director of Finance Support, the Accounting Technician is responsible for processing the payment of invoices and reimbursements and has the training and experience to independently perform much of the skilled work required in the Accounts Payable department. Incumbent performs diverse duties involving a wide range of procedures using initiative and judgment in analyzing information and determining a course of action within the specifications of standard practice and established guidelines of SJSU, CSU, State and/or Federal procurement policies and travel regulations. The Accounts Payable Technician acts as liaison between Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Receiving and Requisitioning departments. Incumbent communicates established policies and procedures to faculty, staff, and the general public.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Audit, analyze, prepare, and approve to pay, PO and Direct Payment invoices, Employee/Student Reimbursements, Petty Cash, Travel and other Reimbursements, and International Travel Advance requests, ensuring compliance with SJSU, CSU, State and Federal policies and guidelines, as applicable.
- Access paperless support documents and invoices for payment and reimbursement requests via the On Base imaging and workflow system.
- Contact requestors (i.e. vendors, campus departments/individuals, travelers) for missing or additional support documentation or information.
- Create PO invoice and other voucher types utilizing the Accounts Payable module of the Common Financial System (CFS) - Oracle (PeopleSoft) finance system.
- Manage/review/update CFS vouchers created via the SJSU Financial Transaction Services (FTS).
- Review data-entry and other system-generated reports (i.e. matching) for accuracy and completeness of online and quick invoice vouchers; make corrections and address receiving or other match exceptions.
- Reconcile vendor statements and resolve issues related to outstanding invoice notices. Follow-up and communicate with vendors and campus departments as needed.
- Collect Control Group Reports for all Direct Payment Requests and Employee/Student Reimbursements expected to pay.
- Prepare claims document packages as required for submission to SCO; prepare claims packages for overnight shipping.
- Prepare State of California Form STD 676 to report various types of fringe benefit payments to employees, such as Call Back Mileage, Wireless Device Allowances, etc.
Education and Experience
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities and equivalent and three years of progressively responsible financial record -keeping experience which has provided the above knowledge and abilities.
- Experience with Oracle (PeopleSoft) Finance System and experience working in an institute of higher education or governmental organization.
- Experience with tax compliance issues such as California Sales and Use Tax, California Nonresident Withholding, and Federal reporting of Miscellaneous Income.
- Experience with San Jose State University, the California State University System, and/or the State of California policies and procedures related to procurement and travel processes.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of Accounts Payable functions, procurement processes, and travel and other reimbursement requests.
- Knowledge of, or the demonstrated ability to learn, the policies and procedures of SJSU, the CSU system, and the State of California, as they pertain to procurement processes and travel.
- Thorough knowledge of Oracle (PeopleSoft) Finance System, working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, and Google Email (or similar email system).
- Ability to analyze, to interpret, and to implement a variety of written rules, regulations, and guidelines.
- Ability to review financial documents for accuracy, completeness, validity, and adherence to standards.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities in a timely manner; to plan, to organize, and to perform day-to-day work independently under general supervision.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of financial record-keeping methods, procedures and practices; arithmetic and general office procedures.
- General knowledge of governmental financial record-keeping methods.
January 17, 2018
Application Screening begins February 2, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046