Coordinator of Special Programs
Job ID: 24406
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: Office of the Registrar
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist Exempt I
Anticipated Salary Range: $3,897/month - $4,505/month
Salary Range: $3,897/month - $6,453/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Coordinator of Special Programs has responsibility for serving SJSU students and incoming international students in the Study Abroad programs that encompass the application and SJSU registration for students in faculty led, ISEP, CSUIP, and bilateral programs; and the recording of study abroad credits for returning study abroad students on their academic transcript. The Special Programs Specialist will maintain accurate and transparent documentation of the communication process and work flow in order to maintain levels of productivity, quality of service for prospective students and quantity of information relative to the registration process. This position utilizes benchmarking approaches with other CSU institutions in researching best business practices for process improvement. This position makes appropriate recommendations to the University Registrar ways and means to improve the coordination and processing tasks in programs assigned to this position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordination of Study Abroad record related processes to include the transcription of grade and unit credits for SJSU students returning from Study Abroad programs (outgoing) approved by the International Students and Scholar Services.
- Coordinates the admission, term activation, and enrollment of the incoming transitory students in study abroad programs such as the bilateral exchange, International Student Exchange Program (ISEP), and Sponsored Student Programs with the International Students and Scholar Services. Ensures that registration appointment times are set by the Systems Coordinator.
- Coordinates the term activation and registration for Pre-College Programs with academic departments including Unitrack and Step To College which includes successful enrollment of high school students in appropriate courses.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Master's degree and/or equivalent years of professional work experience in higher education.
- Three years of professional work experience in student records or a related field (educational, medical, financial, county, etc.)
- Three years or more of experience in a high volume setting providing excellent customer service in higher education or related environment.
- Experience with databases (i.e.: SIS, Banner, PeopleSoft, FileMaker Pro, Excel Spreadsheet, or comparable databases).
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting documents as prescribed by university policies, and disseminating information to others.
- Experience taking complex documents decipher them and take the appropriate action on the student records.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of methods, procedures, practices and activities of international admissions.
- Knowledge of student program administration principles, practices, and methods.
- Ability to plan and execute multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to identify and determine cause of problems; develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices.
- Ability to review processes and identify deviations from appropriate policies or procedures; ability to trace processing errors.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts, basic methods for research and statistical analysis.
- Ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound judgement.
- Ability to understand problems from a broad, interactive perspective and discern applicable underlying principles to conceive of and develop strategic solutions.
- Ability to maximize productivity through use of appropriate tools; planned training and performance initiatives.
- Knowledge of how to appropriately convert grades from international institutions as well as post credit.
- Ability to ensure completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of all operational functions.
- Knowledge of software applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and database management (PeopleSoft).
- Ability to interpret and evaluate descriptions and explanations of problems brought forward by individuals and draw valid conclusions.
January 24, 2018
Application Screening begins February 14, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046