Job ID: 24403
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 0430
Department: Network Services
Classification: Network Analyst - Expert
Salary Range: $6,249/month - $11,074/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Performs duties under limited supervision of the Network Services Director. Works independently to plan, design, engineer, operate, support, maintain, and monitor the wide area, wireless and local area network on campus.
Primary responsibilities include controlling network activity to ensure sound and secure operations, and coordinating and monitoring multiple concurrent projects relating to the expansion and maintenance of existing network facilities and deployment of new network technologies. This position focuses on core network infrastructure, WAN and border infrastructure.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Network Administration, Maintenance and Support
a. Develops and manages processes and procedures to support daily campus network service and operations. Including delegated and hands on support as required.
b. Manages network services based on ITSM practices establish by IT.
c. Conducts network tests and monitoring of network integrity, performance and security to identify service issues and develop plans for remediation.
d. Maintains, and supports network equipment and network operating systems, including switches, WAPs & WLAN controllers, and network related hardware and software.
e. Ensure network ports have proper location description for safety systems
f. Collaborates with vendors to maintain and support TV and IPTV services and operations.
Troubleshooting and User Support
a. Troubleshoots network problems for LAN and Wireless communications and security issues.
b. Refers to vendors or technicians as appropriate.
c. Maintains contact with customers and solicits feedback for improved services
d. Troubleshoots and supports TV/IPTV services and operations.
Network Design, Planning and Implementation
a. Provides program management of assigned network architecture and development of future roadmaps based CSU, industry and vendor input. Including plans for future network technologies integration and deployment.
b. Designs, manages and maintains network architecture and services deployment to improve efficiency and cost effectiveness in adherence with existing technology strategy.
c. Provides proactive consultation to management on needs, risks, plans and opportunities in assigned technology areas.
d. Leads network technology projects from evaluation, implementation, validation and documentation.
e. Prepares and executes plans for campus expansions and upgrades.
f. Participates in planning and engineering processes for network services and to support the integration of other campus services.
g. Follows all change management procedures including preparation of change requests to execution.
a. Collaborate with ISO to design, plan and maintain campus network architecture to adhere to campus information security policy and standards.
b. Secure network resources from inappropriate access
c. Addressing security related issues for network access and devices.
d. Collaborate with Campus resources on security incidents
e. Proactively review and recommend patching and upgrades for security vulnerability for network hardware and software.
Education and Experience
Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering, industrial technology, telecommunications or a related technical field, or equivalent training and experience and five years of hands-on experience managing converged enterprise networks.
- Strongly prefer minimum 3 years experience hands-on with the following routing protocols (OSPF/BGP/MPLS)
- Five years of hands-on network management/engineering
- Five years experience in hands-on Cisco Nexus and CatOS platforms
- Five years experience in hands-on Cisco/Palo Alto Firewalls
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to apply and implement best practices.
- Ability to design and maintain network security and integrity of data on network
- Ability to develop, document and continuous improve operational processes and procedures.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Ability to investigate security incidents within respective systems
- Ability to lead and manage projects and change implementations in alignment with IT best practices.
- Ability to manage vendor relationships to provide effect support to assigned technologies.
- Ability to mentor and train staff on network technologies and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of how to configure and operate network management tools and/or network hardware, including routers, switches, firewalls, and protocols for Cisco products.
- Advanced knowledge of IP data, voice and video networks.
- Advanced knowledge of network architecture and design for performance, reliability and security.
- Advanced knowledge of network engineering, support, and troubleshooting skills
- Advanced knowledge of network traffic and performance parameters to interpret variance and service impact to users.
- Comprehensive knowledge of local and wide area networks (LAN, WAN) and wireless system configuration(s) and protocol.
- Comprehensive knowledge of network architecture, configuration, protocols, and interconnectivity requirements for internal/external information transmission.
January 29, 2018
Application Screening begins February 12, 2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046