Job ID: 24412
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: Civil & Environ Engineering
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist, Non - Exempt
Salary Range: $3,288/month - $5,809/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Under general supervision, the Administrative Analyst independently manages all budget, operational, clerical, and administrative duties for the office of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department. The Department Analyst provides highly complex support to the Department Chair, students, faculty and other staff. This position is responsible for the analysis of operations, the maintenance of fiscal management, planning, and administration of operational systems, makes recommendations to the Chair and faculty regarding strategic choices and appropriate timing for the department's investment of resources. The analyst oversees the day to day operations of the department and provides work lead and direction to others as needed.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Analyzes fiscal needs, sets budget and allocations, and administers accounts for department programs and labs in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Develops and maintains detailed budget records and spreadsheets on all departmental accounts, and reconciles to CFS.
- Administers revenues and expenditures from all department fiscal resources; plans, analyzes, evaluates and administers all associated budgets.
- Reconciles department allocations and budgets with college Dean's office.
- Supports chair and faculty in developing department's strategic planning and reconciling with available resources.
- Reviews costs associated with Special Session & summer/Winter session courses to determine the enrollment requirements to break even.
- Processes hiring appointments for temporary faculty, Teaching Associates (TA), Graduate Assistants (GA), Instructional Student Assistants (ISA), and student assistants (SA), coordinates timesheets and payroll approval for student assistants.
- Coordinates academic scheduling. Manages class scheduling in PeopleSoft. Reviews and verifies schedules for accuracy. Submits updates and corrections as needed.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- 5 years of experience in an office setting.
- Experience with management/oversight of staff/students
- Experience with MS Office; especially Word and Excel
- Experience with PeopleSoft
- Experience with student/alumni outreach/communication, i.e. social media, newsletter management, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and web maintenance.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to provide lead direction, training, and guidance to student assistants.
- Ability to troubleshoot most office administration problems and respond to all inquiries and requests related to work area.
- Thorough knowledge of software applications, such as word processing, spreadsheet and database.
- Ability to perform business math, analyze salary data, calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make accurate projections.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple administrative and clerical tasks for a variety of users, set schedules, complete projects accordingly, and direct student assistants
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, handle multiple work unit priorities and projects
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced educational community service or customer service environment.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative and positive working relationships.
January 29, 2018
Application Screening begins February 19, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046