PeopleSoft Programmer Analyst
Job ID: 24452
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 0400
Department: Enterprise Systems
Classification: Analyst/Programmer - Foundation
Salary Range: $3,470/month - $6,114/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of Enterprise Systems, the PeopleSoft Analyst Programmer analyzes and develops systems and technology-based solutions to meet user needs including applications, databases and related systems. The Analyst Programmer is responsible for primarily delivering on the programming and support needs of SJSU's PeopleSoft systems, including Campus Solutions and HR modules and interfaces with other administrative systems.
The Analyst Programmer will work with the Enterprise Systems team to create and support automated tests for quality assurance of the supported applications. The incumbent will also provide operational support, monitoring critical processes, assisting with job scheduling and tracking of tickets to completion.
The Analyst Programmer will have knowledge of system architecture, design and analysis skills including analyzing procedures, systems and organizational structures, translating results into computer-based solutions on various computer platforms; participates in the review and definition of business problems, including the preparation of functional requirements to support the mission of the university and administrative departments; providing systems and technical support of vendor and locally developed software, troubleshooting issues and providing solutions and associated documentation. Duties and system assignments can be temporarily or permanently changed to meet the needs and goals of the department and university. The Analyst Programmer will perform duties under the technical guidance from the Senior Programmer Analysts to achieve specified outcomes. The incumbent will interact with campus technical support staff and customers to provide reliable services. The incumbent will be proactive in his or her approach in order to make recommendations and ensure users/departments have the most up-to-date technological solutions to perform their jobs and serve the university community effectively.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Under the guidance of the Senior Programmer Analysts, the incumbent will:
- Consult with users to identify and document software/system purpose, work flow issues, and output needs.
- Document specifications and requirements for the optimal integration and implementation of solutions
- Assist the senior programmers with design, builds, analysis, enhancement, debugging, testing, and maintenance of PeopleSoft programs.
- Develop skills with People Tools and People Code and code using App designer, SQL, SQR, CI's, BI Publisher and application programming languages
- Use industry standard programming languages, development and runtime environments to program and support enterprise applications and various reports.
Quality Assurance of SJSU applications
- Test system changes and debug code
- Create and document use and test cases
- Translate technical requirements to test cases/plans
Production Control and Monitoring of SJSU Application
- Track, monitor, and close production support issues escalated from the help desk and document activities and solutions
- Assist the senior programmers with change control and application deployment activities, tracking and follow up of tickets.
- Monitor IB queues, PeopleSoft scheduled processes and ftp servers
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree in a related field by the date of hire or equivalent relevant experience is required.
- Experience with PeopleSoft and/or database technologies.
- Experience with Application program documentation techniques.
- Experience with Techniques to sort, search, and queue data and integrate with other systems to ensure cohesiveness.
- Experience with People Tools & People Code using App designer, SQL, SQR, CIs, BI Publisher.
- Experience with SQL statements and scripts, SQR, App Engine.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of Systems development life cycle in order to develop effective systems.
- Knowledge of Quality assurance and quality control methodologies in order to comply with established standards.
- Knowledge of higher education student administration and human resources systems.
- Consultative skills to assess user needs and communicate technology systems and solutions
- Knowledge of software design, development and support.
- Knowledge of Application programming language(s), database design and development in order to support and develop applications.
- Knowledge of Techniques to sort, search, and queue data and integrate with other systems to ensure cohesiveness.
- Proven understanding of relational databases data base management system software (e.g., Oracle Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL software) to support and maintain data and/or to run queries.
- Identify problems, draw valid conclusions, and develop effective solutions to troubleshoot and assist with application and performance issues.
- Management of multiple priorities to produce quality products for customers.
- Skill in developing code using SQL, SQR and application programming languages.
- Working knowledge in assessing application program operational and maintenance procedures to ensure efficient program functioning
- Knowledge of Application program documentation techniques to ensure application development processes are recorded according to standards.
- Ability to research and evaluate the functionality of vendor or other CSU campus software to meet user needs, assess vendor proposals, and serve as a technical/vendor liaison.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with various individuals to ensure a cohesive working environment.
- Work independently to ensure work activities are completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Apply creative solutions to business problems to ensure business needs are effectively met.
- Communicate with various individuals (e.g., coworkers, management, customers) in a tactful and professional manner to ensure information is relayed accurately.
- Resolve issues to satisfactory completion in a tactful manner.
- Keep current with continually evolving and changing technologies
February 9, 2018
Application Screening begins February 26, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046