Job ID: 24424
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 2010
Department: MLK Library Facility
Salary Range: $2,319/month - $3,840/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
**Current vacancies are for night shift work with working hours of
10:30 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.**
The Custodian will sweep, vacuum, spot carpets, clean carpets, scrub, mop, wax, and polish floors; clean classrooms, laboratories, lavatories, locker rooms, blackboards, white boards, windows, venetian style blinds; replenish lavatory supplies, empty wastebaskets and recycling bins and remove trash/recycling from campus buildings, replace lamps in light fixtures; lock and unlock doors and windows as required; safeguard building or equipment from unauthorized; other duties listed in the Classification and Qualification Standards of the CSU system and the Department Standards Guideline may be assigned in order to meet customer and campus needs. Different shift operational needs may vary to some degree and individual assignments on a given date are determined by available staffing, campus customer needs, and customer expectations.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- All aspects of floor care
- Cleaning of classrooms, laboratories, lavatories, locker rooms, and public areas of campus buildings
- Removing trash and recycling from campus buildings
- Replacing lamps in light fixtures
- Operating department vehicles for transportation of materials
Education and Experience
Ability to communicate verbally at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; ability to follow simple oral and written directions; ability to understand chemical/product mixing ratios and ability to label containers accordingly.
Requires the possession of a valid California Driver's License for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required for position and in any emergency situation.
-A minimum of six months of full time custodial or service industry experience in an institutional or commercial setting.
-A minimum of six months of full time experience with industrial commercial equipment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General knowledge of methods, chemicals, and equipment used in custodial operations.
- Knowledge of safety and sanitation measures appropriate to custodial operations.
- Ability to work alone and within a team environment.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written directions.
- Ability to use and care for custodial supplies and equipment.
- Ability to observe and use safe working conditions.
- Ability to conduct oneself in a safe and efficient manner in all department activities and adhere to all campus safety standards, report potential safety risks and problems to supervisor, perform daily safety checks on all equipment to be used for shift, and maintain department safety protective equipment.
- Ability to respond to all emergency situations regarding building clean up and service in a timely manner.
- A valid California Driver's license is required at time of hire for the operations of any vehicle required for this position.
- Must be able to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses and pass the course exam.
- Must be able to accommodate a work schedule that varies according to operational needs and may include evening and weekend hours.
February 8, 2018
This position is open until filled.
Required Application Material:
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046