Engineering Central Shops Machinist
Job ID: 24449
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 7021
Department: College of Engineering
Classification: Equipment Technician III - Mechanical
Salary Range: $4,107/month - $6,800/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Building and Safety Specialist, the Engineering Central Shops Machinist is responsible for fabricating custom wood/metal/plastic hardware for teaching, research, and student projects in the College. In addition, the Machinist maintains the inventory of raw materials and tools and their organization, and supports building safety protocols and special events requiring the support of the Central Shops. The Machinist participates in College-wide activities with the College of Engineering department technical and clerical staff as well as faculty.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Designs and fabricates parts for students/ faculty/ staff projects.
- Responsible for assisting with aspects of equipment design, fabrication, and construction of highly technical
- Repairs and maintains a wide variety of instructional and laboratory equipment.
- Responsible for ensuring optimal equipment operation.
- Develops recommendation plans for underutilized or obsolete equipment.
- Develop College Maker's Space.
- Install, test, and operate CNC equipment, lathe, etc.
- Train and supervise students on all equipment.
- Manages inventory of supplies and material required for Maker's Space and Central Workshop.
- Proactively orders supplies to meet future demands.
- Organizes material for easy access and inventory management.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to three years of progressively responsible journey-level or skilled experience in the maintenance, repair and operation of scientific or technical equipment in the specialty area to which assigned, including one year involving design modifications and fabrication of complex and highly technical equipment or equivalent to two years of semi-skilled experience maintaining and repairing scientific or technical equipment or related equipment experience as part of instructional support activities may be substituted for one year of the required experience or equivalent to two years of trade school or technical arts training with specialization in the type of equipment repair to which assigned. Completion of an apprenticeship program or completion of a full military specialization in the required type of equipment maintenance and repair may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
- Bachelor's degree in technology or closely related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a technical environment
- Experience with MS Office, MasterCam software, CAD-CAM electronics, CNC lathes and mills
- Experience with modern manufacturing equipment and processes
- Experience using machine shop safety guidelines
- Experience enforcing safety protocols for students, staff, and faculty
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the construction, installation, maintenance, repair and operation of the equipment in the Central Workshop, including, but not limited to, milling machines, lathes, routers, CNC equipment and paint labs.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans or schematics in order to assist with projects.
- General knowledge of electrical, plumbing, and building facilities, such as compressed air, steam, and process vacuum.
- Ability to train, guide, lead, and assist students, staff, and faculty in the use of equipment to promote best safety practices.
- Ability to forecast needs and plan inventory accordingly.
- Ability to respond to the needs of the university, college, and departments
- Strong customer service and public relation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to be flexible and a team player.
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate the work of technical projects.
- Ability to analyze equipment problems and determine what repairs are needed.
- Ability to install, replace, repair, and maintain a wide variety of equipment.
February 9, 2018
Application Screening begins March 5, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046