Financial Aid Advisor
Job ID: 24419
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3082
Department: Financial Aid & Scholarships
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Anticipated Salary Range: $4,062/month - $4,143/month
Salary Range: $3,935/month - $5,595/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Financial Aid Advisor performs functions under the general supervision of the Associate Director for Counseling and Advising, the Financial Aid Advisor performs a variety of duties related to processing the financial aid eligibility determination for student financial aid applications, to maintain records and to assist students by providing information. Working independently, the Financial Aid Advisor is primarily responsible for the document verification and need analysis of financial aid documentation related to the financial aid application, and awarding process for all San Jose State University applicants.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs application review and needs analysis to determine documented financial need of students using the financial aid delivery system and the PeopleSoft needs Analysis Module.
- Reviews and verifies various documents that may be requested, including verification forms such as tax returns to complete the verification process.
- Reviews accuracy all documents submitted by the student to determine the student's eligibility under the various federal and state regulations such as citizenship status, loan history, grant overpayment, social security number accuracy, and veterans benefits, as it relates to determining financial aid eligibility.
- Assists students at the front counter by answering questions during drop-in hour and provides phone coverage for more complex calls that require transferring to an Advisor. Responsible for explaining to students and parents the various documents that may be requested for the application process, including verification forms, tax returns, etc.
- Attends conferences and seminars regarding financial aid eligibility criteria and processes. Makes on and off campus presentations and represents San Jose State University at informational fairs and forums.
- Works on assigned Financial Aid caseload with the processing of grants and loans during peak processing periods.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job related field and two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master's degree in a job related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3 to 4 years of experience within a financial aid environment
- 2 years of experience with financial aid verification application review, need analysis, and recalculation of financial aid eligibility
- Experience working with federal/state regulations and maintaining compliance and program integrity
- Experience with PeopleSoft and financial aid software programs (COD, NSLDS, etc.)
- Experience in written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to advise students on matters regarding financial aid eligibility, money management; academic progress requirements, and other related matters for which students seek help.
- Ability to identify and determine cause of problems; develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices.
- Ability to research and develop resources that create timely and efficient workflow.
- Ability to prepare and submit reports as requested and required.
- Knowledge of methods, procedures, practices, and activities of all California State University and SJSU admission requirements and policies.
- Ability to use technical databases and programs for word documents, databases, communication tools, spreadsheets, etc.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive communications with students, parents, employees and external agencies.
- Knowledge of technology and software applications such as: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and communication tools.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to identify conflict, problem solve, resolve student problems, and concerns in the most efficient manner possible.
February 9, 2018
Application Screening begins February 28, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046