Assistant Director for General Accounting
Job ID: 24457
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Accounting Services
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Accounting Services Director, the Assistant Director General Accounting is responsible for managing a team of professional accountants to assure accurate, efficient, and compliant financial activities. The incumbent will also act as second in command for the Accounting Services Department. The incumbent provides leadership for the successful operation of the General Accounting unit that supports the mission of the central finance office. The incumbent will be responsible for managing Fund Reconciliation (including financial aid), General Accounting Services (such as bank reconciliation, accounts receivable), Student Financial Reconciliation and Reporting, and supporting required year-end financial reporting needs. As a member of the finance management team, the Assistant Director for General Accounting provides direction, planning and decision making for all administrative functions of the unit.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for general accounting functions including fund accounting, bank reconciliation, investments, financial aid accounting, accounts receivable maintenance and billing/chargebacks.
- Manages month-end and year-end closing and reporting processes.
- Identifies and determines cause of problems; develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices; initiates and implements plans to solve problems.
- Coordinates internal and external comprehensive financial and management reporting for the University consistent with standard accounting practices and policies; coordinates and manages external financial audits of the university.
- Recommends initiatives and changes to improve quality and services of a unit/department/division/college.
- Directs use of PeopleSoft General Ledger and AR/Billing software.
- Coordinates upgrades and system development from functional manager perspective.
- Develops campus policies and procedures to ensure the quality of campus financial data and facilitate reporting.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university with a degree related to Finance, Accounting or relevant field
- Five years of full-time progressively responsible work experience in the administration of accounting records, and external financial reporting functions, with two years in a managerial role
- Experience working with an accounting Enterprise Reporting System (ERP), including General Ledger, Accounts Receivable and Billing modules.
- Professional Certification (CPA, CGMA or CMA, CIA)
- Experience in higher education and funding accounting.
- Experience with Oracle PeopleSoft ERP.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls and financial reporting requirements.
- Knowledge and skill related to general accounting functions including bank reconciliation, financial aid accounting, accounts receivable maintenance, and billing/chargebacks.
- Knowledge of accounting Enterprise Reporting Systems and methods used to extract data.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to interpret and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures, and analyze situations accurately to adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to effectively manage and evaluate the work of staff
- Ability to assign duties and responsibilities; oversee work assignments to ensure work is done accurately and timely; and provide personnel development.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, prepare clear and concise reports, and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in a mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to lead meetings in an organized fashion.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Plant & Fixed Assets, Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Bursar, Budget, Administrative Systems and Common Management Staff.
- Ability to maintain personal composure in high stress situations as well as establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to empower and motivate employees to continuously improve performance.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to make complex financial policies accessible to a lay audience.
February 15, 2018
Application Screening begins March 5, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046