International Student Advisor
Job ID: 24422
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3084
Department: Int'nl Student &Scholar Servcs
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Anticipated Salary Range: $4,288/month - $5,100/month
Salary Range: $4,288/month - $6,109/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Working independently under the general supervision of the Director of International Student and Scholar Services, and receiving work direction from the Assistant Director of International Student Advising, the International Student Advisor (ISA) provides direct service to students and scholars; offers administrative and technical support; facilitates programming; interacts with faculty, administrators, staff, and off-campus agencies. These areas often overlap in the fulfillment of responsibilities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide one-on-one and group advising. Process paperwork for F-1 students benefits, such as OPT and CPT, as well as Change of Status, Reduced Course Loads, Extensions of Program, etc. Provide administrative and technical support.
- Plan, coordinate, and present workshops and information sessions to communicate F-1 student immigration regulations and SJSU policies to international students.
- Advise Students with academic and personal concerns. As appropriate, refer students to colleagues for professional support.
- Serve as authorized staff member, DSO, for the immigration tracking and monitoring system, SEVIS.
- Assist with coordination of the international student ARRIVAL/Orientation, International Week, and other programs in partnership with campus colleagues.
- Assist in the creation, revision, and ongoing support of office publications, website, and e-communications
- Serve as liaison to student clubs
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related and three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
- Two years of F1 and J1 immigration advising and DSO experience
- Experience with USCIS regulations
- Experience with SEVIS procedures.
- Experience maintaining student data and records
- Student Service Advising experience in a University setting
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience interacting with individuals in a cross cultural environment
- International living experience or foreign language proficiency
Application Screening begins March 9, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046