Career Counselor - Generalist (TEMPORARY)
Job ID: 24455
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3079
Department: Career Center
Classification: Student Services Professional IB
Salary Range: $3,470/month - $4,908/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This is a temporary one year benefited position.*
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Career Counselor/New Student Program Lead, the Career Counselor Generalist works in a collaborative team setting to assist in serving primarily the new and undeclared student population. The primary responsibilities include assist the Program Lead to deliver quality career education and coaching to individuals and groups of all sizes. Additional priorities involve assist in conducting student outreach and gathering student feedback to improve service quality.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists in implementing assigned program tasks related to student professional development, career development, and employment.
- Assists in supporting students with development of basic employment transition plans including building quality job searches, resume/portfolio preparation, professional ethics, interviewing, and networking competencies.
- Assists in conducting standard workshops and assists in facilitating groups on various career management and job search topics.
- Assists in assessing needs and coordinating learning/programmatic outcomes with faculty in collaboration with key employers, community partners and the Center team.
- Assists in supporting development of resources, online/virtual tools and resume referrals relevant to program.
- Assists in developing relationships and communications with academic partners from assigned colleges and related academic clubs and relevant professional/community organizations.
- Assists in engaging academic sector in serving the needs of employers and relevant programs and building long-term interaction with the University.
- Assists in designing and implementing marketing collateral and promotional efforts related to program coordination and delivery.
- Assists in delivering preparatory programs and workshops which posture students for quality connections with employers and successful employment experiences.
- Assists in development and integration of web content, virtual services and on-line/long distance programs related to assigned academic fields.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration, or a job related field. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year for year basis. Possession of these knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of one year of experience in professional Student Services work at the entry trainee level. Equivalent amounts of graduate level job related education may be substituted for the required experience.
- Master's Degree in counseling psychology or a related field
- One year of trainee - level experience advising or counseling students in a higher education setting
- Experience or working knowledge of industry and relevant career opportunities in the marketplace
- One year of trainee-level experience in developing, implementing, and deploying live or long-distance programs relevant to career development, counseling, or employment
- Strong written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to function successfully in a detail-oriented environment and handle multiple work priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to function effectively in a culturally-diverse environment and establish relationships & partnerships with a various levels of the public.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to analyze complex situations accurately, consult with leadership, and adopt effective courses of action.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees, employers and external agencies.
- Skilled in the use of virtual and on-line, distance-learning employment-related tools and resources.
- Knowledge of software applications: such as word processing, spreadsheet, power point and database management.
- Ability to advise in group on routine matters, general knowledge of principles of individual, and group behavior
February 16, 2018
Application Screening begins March 7, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046