Financial Aid Operations Coordinator
Job ID: 24464
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1035
Department: Financial Aid & Scholarships
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Salary Range: $2,846/month - $4,711/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Financial Aid Operations and receive work lead direction form the Financial Aid Lead, the Financial Aid Operations Coordinator performs a full range of office and administrative support functions for the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. Working independently, under general supervision, the Financial Aid Operations Coordinator is primarily responsible for coordinating a variety of interrelated workflow processes to ensure the timely receipt, coding, referral and processing of financial aid documents related to the Financial Aid application, and awarding process for all San Jose State University applicants. Coordinates, implements, and maintains clerical, administrative and customer support functions for all aspects of the Financial Aid services document management. The Coordinator will provide assistance to students and families in completing the financial aid process.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Works with all federal and state Financial Aid programs including grants, loans, and work study by explaining the processes to customers who come to the Financial Aid Office.
- Participate at on-campus yield events explaining the financial aid process to perspective San Jose State University students.
- Performs intake of and is responsible for all aspects of required financial aid documents.
- Updates the PeopleSoft Student Administration module by coding the receipt of verified documents and completion of the data retrieval process.
- Reviews various query reports and makes contact with student regarding status, when special projects are assigned.
- Coordinates the compilation, tracking, and timely receipt of all documents required to process applications for the financial aid verification and awarding process.
- Completes and maintains student application status, and document verification/editing via computerized system.
- Performs credit check for Federal Plus Loans.
Education and Experience
Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents and two years of related office work experience.
- Associate's Degree
- Three years of related office work experience
- Experience providing customer service in a records environment
- Experience with databases (i.e. SIS, Banner, PeopleSoft, FileMaker Pro) or comparable databases
- Strong written communication skills
- Experience organizing a large volume/area
- Experience in a financial aid office
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to perform standard business math, such as calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make simple projections.
- Knowledge of software applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets; graphics and database management.
- Knowledge of budget policies and procedures.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple administrative and clerical tasks for a variety of policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not exist.
- Ability to handle effectively a broader range of interpersonal contacts, including those at a higher level and those sensitive in nature.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships for work responsibilities and customer service.
February 20, 2018
Application Screening begins March 12, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046