Interim Director of Accounting Services (TEMPORARY)
Job ID: 24468
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3306
Department: Accounting Services
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This is a one - year benefited interim appointment.*
The Interim Director of Accounting Services reports to the Associate Vice President for Finance, and is a key member of the finance leadership team. The Interim Director is responsible for reporting the university's results of operation and financial condition in conformance with generally accepted accounting principles, ensuring internal controls over financial reporting, and keeping abreast of relevant changes in accounting guidance. The Interim Director has budget and personnel management responsibilities for a department consisting of 2 managers and 10 staff accountants.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains the integrity of the university's accounting records.
- Oversees reconciliation of account balances to external records, maintenance of the chart of accounts and related codes and tables, and adherence to federal, state, and CSU financial rules and regulations.
- Oversees comprehensive financial and management reporting for the university and consolidated financial information including the five incorporated auxiliary organizations, consistent with standard accounting practices and policies; organizes and manages external financial audits of the university.
- Recommends initiatives and changes to improve quality and services of a unit/department/division/college.
- Develops and presents recommendations for improvement of established processes and practices.
- Initiates and implements plans to solve problems, maximizes productivity through use of appropriate tools; develops resources that create timely and efficient workflow.
- Develops and recommends Accounting Services budget and prepares progress reports.
- Oversees general accounting functions including bank reconciliation, financial aid accounting, accounts receivable maintenance, billing/chargebacks, and property tracking.
- Directs use of PeopleSoft General Ledger, AR/Billing, and Asset Management software.
- Coordinates upgrades and system development from functional manager perspective.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university with a degree related to Finance, Accounting or relevant field.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Chartered Accountant (CA), or other applicable certificate.
- Seven years of full-time progressively responsible work experience in the administration of accounting records, and external financial reporting functions, with four years in a managerial role.
- Experience maintaining an ERP accounting system including the General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Billing and Fixed Asset modules.
- Experience in higher education and fund accounting. Working
- Experience with Oracle PeopleSoft ERP.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls and financial reporting requirements.
- Thorough knowledge and skill related to general accounting functions including bank reconciliation, financial aid accounting, accounts receivable maintenance, and billing/chargebacks.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to set vision and establish strategy for the Accounting Services department.
- Ability to interpret and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures, and analyze situations accurately to adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to effectively manage and evaluate the work of staff; assign duties and responsibilities; oversee work assignments to ensure work is done accurately and timely; and provide personnel development.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, prepare clear and concise reports, and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in a mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to be a project leader.
- Ability to lead meetings in an organized fashion.
- Ability to maintain personal composure in high stress situations as well as establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to empower and motivate employees to reach to performance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain contact with customers and solicits feedback to improve services.
- Ability to make complex financial policies accessible to a lay audience.
- Ability to maintain dignity and self-control in difficult situations.
- Ability to ensure completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of all operational functions.
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds.
Application Screening begins March 21, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046