Job ID: 24470
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 2010
Department: Housing Building Maintenance
Anticipated Salary Range: $2,831/month - $2,914/month
Salary Range: $2,319/month - $3,840/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Under the work lead direction of the Lead Custodians and the direct supervision of the Assistant Director for Custodial Operations, the Custodian performs all duties in their specific assigned work area and is responsible for performing duties in other work areas as needed. Work areas are located within residential facilities and/or administrative offices and include the Classics residence halls, the Campus Village residential facilities and/or the trash/recycling rooms. Incumbents are responsible for maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of their work areas. The Custodian is required to use safe, approved methods and frequencies, which have been approved by University Housing Services. This position will be assigned to work weekends.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Completes full scale cleaning of bathrooms.
- Disinfects scrubs and regularly maintains communal and individual shower areas.
- Disinfects sinks, urinals and toilets.
- Wipes down toilet partitions, mirrors, lockers, doors and window sills.
- Cleans and polishes surfaces as needed.
- Sweeps and mops stairwells and other high traffic areas.
- Mops floors and removes spills as needed.
- Vacuums hallways, study rooms, lounges and other common areas.
- Dusts all flat surface areas, window sills, furniture and other areas within assigned work area.
- Cleans windows, walls and community equipment within assigned work area.
- Empties trash and recycling receptacles into building trash chute or exterior dumpster.
- Replaces plastic liners as needed.
- Washes trash and recycling receptacles as needed.
- Removes trash/debris from common areas as needed.
- Mops floors and removes spills as needed in trash rooms and compactor rooms.
- Ensures that trash immediately outside building entrances/stoops is picked up.
- Remove trash and recycling bins from compactor and/or trash rooms using motorized vehicle to designed pick up area.
Education and Experience
Ability to communicate verbally at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; ability to follow simple oral and written directions; ability to understand chemical/product mixing ratios and ability to label containers accordingly. Requires the possession of a valid California Driver's License for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required for position and in any emergency situation. Must participate in all OSHA required physicals and examinations.
- High School Diploma and/or equivalent training
- Two years of experience as a custodian
- Experience working in a residential or university environment
- Experience working with custodial cleaning equipment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to exercise care and follow instructions when using janitorial supplies or equipment as well as follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to multi-task to support the "One Stop Shop" model of Higher Education Customer Service and coordinate deadlines.
- Ability to use proper equipment including vacuum, high speed floor buffing machine, regular floor buffer, standard carpet extractor, portable upholstery cleaner and wet/dry vacuum.
- Ability to perform complex tasks involving independent judgment, accuracy and speed.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply policies and regulations in specific situations.
- Ability to observe rules, regulations and expectations to ensure a safe working environment.
- Ability to work alone as well as with other staff when assigned to do so.
- Ability to work flexible hours, weekdays and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to handle a high degree of customer contact.
- Ability to be fingerprinted-must not have been convicted of a crime in which punishment could have been imprisonment in a federal or state prison.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Must be able to work alternative work schedule including weekdays, weekends and some holidays
- Ability to complete Defensive Drivers Training Program provided by State of California for CSU campuses.
February 23, 2018
Application Screening begins March 16, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046