Housing Security Officer
Job ID: 24471
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8820
Department: UPD Field Operations
Classification: Community Service Specialist I
Anticipated Salary: $3,685/month
Salary Range: $2,489/month - $4,119/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Housing Security Officer receives direction from and reports to the Director of University Housing Services. The Security Officer is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for the residents, guest, staff, and facilities of University Housing Services. This position will work nights and weekends. The Security Officer assists with providing public safety services for the SJSU residence community which housing approximately 4200 students, staff and families in two apartment buildings and four residence halls. The position works an alternate schedule, Wednesday to Sunday, midnight to 8:00a.m.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Address Housing concerns as directed by University Housing Services Staff and University Police.
- Report suspected hazards and criminal behavior
- Provide assistance to patrons and staff as requested
- Respond to calls for services
- Check-in with Building Desks 2 to 3 times during shift
- Go on rounds with a building RA on Duty team on a rotating basis
- Serve as escorts to residents within the community
- Utilize the access card system to ensure safety and security of residents
- Utilize Closed Circuit Television surveillance system
- Monitor and check Fire Safety Systems and Alarm
- Produce access cards as needed to provide and/or restrict access
- Respond to alarms and emergency situations
- Assist University housing staff and University personnel with crisis response as appropriate
- Serve on University Housing Services emergency preparedness and crisis response team
- Write housing incident reports including morning reports and providing updates via email
- Work closely with SJSU Police department
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid California Driver's License
- Six months of previous police/security/military law enforcement training and/or experience
- Experience working in a residential setting
- Customer Service Experience
- Experience working with student populations
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to learn, quickly learn, understand, and apply specific Housing, San Jose State University, and City of San Jose rules and regulations
- Ability to understand and apply local, state and federal laws
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn to use, applicable public safety equipment and systems
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a wide range of people
- Ability to act calmly and rationally in emergency situations
- Ability to understand and operate a computer card key access station
- Ability to understand and operate fire safety and alarms systems
- Ability to learn Police 10 code
- Customer service skills
- Ability to use a handheld radio communication system
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural and socio-economic community environment.
- Ability to monitor/access CCTV screens
- Ability to learn Police 10 Code
Application Screening begins March 21, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046