Operations and Computer Support Technician
Job ID: 24474
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1615
Department: Instructional & Meeting Spaces
Classification: Instructional Support Technician I
Salary Range: $3,419/month - $5,662/month
FLSA status: Non- Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Performs duties under general supervision but works independently to plan, schedule, coordinate and maintain support to the SJSU campus. Assists faculty, students, and staff requesting equipment, provide routine classroom technology support and equipment maintenance activities. Provides support to faculty, students, and staff through the coordination of operations and technical services of Instructional & Meeting Spaces Unit. Provides consultation on computer resources and first tier computer support for unit computers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Audio/Visual Equipment Operation & Maintenance:
- Test and ensure check out equipment is in operable condition prior to delivery or distribution.
- Maintain compliance with security and safety standards of all equipment.
- Develop and conduct preventative maintenance and cleaning of equipment, and make minor repairs to equipment
Classroom Technology Operation &Maintenance:
- Troubleshoot audio/visual and computer problems and provide basic maintenance support. This includes testing computer configurations, troubleshooting and if needed, resetting SP Controls, Vyopta and Crestron control systems, troubleshooting network connectivity and Smartboard operational issues.
- Perform preventive maintenance checks, respond to trouble calls and tickets and determine the proper level of support required. This includes using test equipment, and replacing cabling and selected components.
Computer Support and Maintenance:
- Ensure quality of overall system performance and ongoing availability of checkout laptop systems and applications.
- Maintain hardware and software running on checkout laptops, perform first tier troubleshoot of hardware, software and networking problems.
Customer Service and Support:
- Provide customer service to faculty, staff and students by scheduling, distributing, and checking out equipment and media. Provide walk-in, phone reservations and over the counter services to customers checking out or dropping off equipment.
- Assist faculty on operation of Smart, Enhanced and Next Generation Classrooms. Provide hand-on in class support as needed by faculty teaching in these spaces.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to two years of experience providing instructional support services for a unit or discipline, acting as a student assistant, or in producing materials or supplies related to the discipline. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
Experience with the operation of a variety of audio/visual equipment.
Experience diagnosing AV equipment and systems problems and performing equipment repairs.
Experience performing basic computer maintenance and troubleshooting software and hardware failures and identifying remedies.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of operation of a wide range of portable video and audio systems, audio monitoring equipment, and related instructional communications technology.
- Ability to identify and determine cause of equipment problems, advise end users and make necessary modifications to the equipment.
- Ability to diagnose equipment and systems problems and develop solutions, and perform equipment repairs.
- Knowledge of library database systems.
- Knowledge of a broad range of instructional audio/visual techniques and needs of a campus community.
- Operational knowledge of some or all of the following: SmartBoard hardware and software; SP Controls, Crestron and Vyopta control software; LCD Projectors; HDTV monitors; and troubleshooting of Macintosh and Windows Operating Systems.
- Knowledge of the operation of a variety of audio/visual equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot the installed classroom technology and instruct faculty teaching in the technology driven classroom spaces.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports generated from the information gathered through the University's ticketing system.
- Ability to research available products and systems and recommend alternatives to meet identified needs.
- Strong oral communication skills and excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Working knowledge of methods, procedures and practices; English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities.
- Knowledge of training methods, procedures and practices related to audio/visual equipment.
- Ability to select and apply effective training methods and procedures appropriate for the situation.
- Skill in developing detailed procedural documentation, and clear written instructions.
- Working knowledge of PC and Macintosh hardware, Windows Operation Systems, Mac OS, Microsoft Office Suite, various email clients and internet utilities, web development tools, and TCP/IP Networking.
- Ability to perform basic computer maintenance and troubleshoot software and hardware failures and identify remedies.
March 2, 2018
Application Screening begins March 19, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046