Job ID: 24484
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3082
Department: PRIDE and Gender Equity Center
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Anticipated Salary Range: $4,062 - $4,143/month
Salary Range: $3,935/month - $5,595/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Education Programmer performs duties under general supervision of the Director of PRIDE Center & Gender Equity Center. This position will coordinate the educational programming of the center, working with the student assistants, and campus and community partners to implement small and large-scale programs that encourage the campus community to participate in organized co-curricular activities that integrate academic experiences and contribute to the growth of individuals and general community awareness of issues related to gender. The position will supervise the student assistants of the Gender Equity Center: mentoring their professional development and understanding of gender issues, and utilizing their skills and expertise to develop programming.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Designs and implements programs that promote education, advocacy, advising support, professional development, and mentoring for students; specifically addressing issues regarding gender and identity development.
- Educates students on social justice issues and in particular how gender impacts individuals and society.
- Mentors and advises students on how to apply social justice practices in their creation of programs.
- Advises students on issues related to gender, gender identity, and societal issues.
- Collaborates with campus units and Faculty in development of programs and services.
- Provide training for student assistants and any peer mentors.
- Assess and evaluate the programming of the Gender Equity Center to ensure the center is providing programming that contributes to the individual growth, educational goals, and university retention of students who participate in Gender Equity Center programs.
- Work with the Director to develop learning outcomes of the center's programs and assist with conducting an annual assessment of the center to make recommendations for program improvement.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job related field. Two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master's degree in a job related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
Master;ss Degree and three years of experience in student services or public health work at the entry/trainee/intern level.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to produce culturally appropriate educational events, programs, and projects from inception to execution.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Knowledge of Title XI and its application at SJSU.
- Ability to provide mentorship to student assistants to aid in their professional development.
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups.
- Ability to provide student assistants with guidance and direction to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to facilitate a collaborative environment.
- Ability to assess effectiveness of produced events, programs, and projects.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to present clear and concise information orally and in written reports.
- Ability to work in a social justice oriented organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to support students, staff, and faculty though a variety of situations and make appropriate referrals to campus and community agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to reason logically; ability to collect, compile, analyze and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentation based on these data.
- Ability to use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, administrators, student organizations, private and public agencies and others in committee work, and student advising and community contacts.
March 2, 2018
Application Screening begins March 19, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046