FD&O Customer Service Specialist
Job ID: 24488
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1035
Department: Administrative Services
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator - I
Salary Range: $2,846 /month - $4,711 /month
FLSA status: Nonexempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
This position is responsible for coordinating the administrative and operational objectives of a customer service center for receiving, processing and tracking all customer requests by Facilities Development and Operations personnel and the campus community. The Customer Service Specialist will answer and maintain accurate support records for all service desk communication forms and telephone lines during regular operating hours, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Provide customer service and support in receiving, processing and tracking all work requested by the campus community; Make independent judgements as to scope and urgency of service or work requests; And exercise discretion in determining the appropriate unit, shop or crew to be dispatched directly to respond to emergency or immediate requests. The duties of this position require exceptional people skills including diplomacy and tact as they will be responding to customer requests, complaints, and time sensitive needs. Additionally, this position requires exceptional organizational skills as all communications and activities must be quickly and accurately recorded despite constant interruptions from requests made by the campus community and interdepartmentally.
Education and Experience
Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents combined with two years of related office work experience.
Two years of experience in customer service in a front office, maintenance or construction dispatching, or phone reception with heavy call volume is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A general knowledge of Facilities Development and Operations Dispatch Center
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and manage multiple situations while under duress.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of computer applications: MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Internet tools.
- Ability to learn and use PeopleSoft software application, Key Card Database, Web TMA, and other databases as deemed necessary.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation, and spelling. Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to perform standard business math, such as calculating ratios and percentages, tracking financial data, and making simple projections.
- Thorough knowledge of office systems, and ability to use broader range of technology, systems, and packages.
- Ability to solve common and unique problems using reasoning and judgment to develop practical, thorough, and creative solutions.
- Demonstrated competence in effectively presenting standard information in writing.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple administrative and clerical tasks for a variety of users, set schedules, and complete projects accordingly.
- Ability to display a strong sense of commitment to customer needs, and possess excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Thorough knowledge of methods, procedures and practices, English grammar, business writing, punctuation, spelling and math.
- Fluency in using standard software applications: word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, and Google Drive.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Computer Maintenance Management Systems software or comparable facilities management information system and/or work tracking system software.
- Must have the ability to remain calm in emergency situations to be able to determine the immediate need, apply process and procedures, and give direction based upon the events.
- Ability to apply independent judgment, discretion, and initiative to address problems and develop practical, thorough, and at times, creative solutions.
- Ability to learn the operations of the Facilities Development and Operations Department as they relate to the campus physical plant and the campus academic activities.
- Ability to independently initiate and draft a clear and concise final form memoranda and correspondence requiring selection of materials and references from a variety of sources.
- General working knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies and procedures
- Demonstrate competence in understanding, interpreting and communicating procedures, policies, information, ideas and instructions.
March 6, 2018
Application Screening begins March 21, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046