Planned Giving Specialist
Job ID: 24486
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: Development Univ Advancement
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist -Exempt III
Salary Range: $5,908/month - $10,507/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of Planned Giving, the Planned Giving Specialist is responsible for several key functions within the planned giving team: administration of estates in progress, execution of the Heritage Society cultivation strategy, maintenance of the planned giving marketing efforts, event coordination, donor correspondence and other administrative tasks.
The Planned Giving Specialist is expected to interact with the Directors of Development, Tower Foundation, Advancement Services, estate attorneys, paralegals, institutional and individual trustees and executors, donors and their family members, and the CSU Foundation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Execute on processing and record keeping associated with realized planned gifts and those in progress or probate. Process and respond as needed by distributing appropriate documents to external entities (attorneys, superior court, financial institutions and individuals). Ensure appropriate internal distribution of documents and that planned gifts are properly recorded and allocated according to their intended purposes.
- Execute the proper filing of documents and notifications for charitable gift annuities with the CSU Foundation.
- Prepare gift acknowledgement, donor trust and pooled income fund reports;
- Maintain hard file and e-file records; conduct some data entry and retrieval;
- Process invoices, track expenditures, budget reporting as needed;
- Prepare Crescendo illustrations and valuations for charitable gift annuities and trusts;
- Field incoming planned giving request phone calls.
Stewardship and Cultivation
- Execute on planned giving cultivation plan for Heritage Society members and planned giving prospects, including phone calls, letters, emails, invitations and recording those contacts.
- Collaborate with members of the Development team on cultivation efforts within the various colleges (Directors of Development) and campus wide (Alumni Affairs).
- Manage portfolio of selected Heritage Society members for personal stewardship
- Maintain planned giving marketing collateral and website content
- Produce and maintain prospect and professional advisor lists
- Coordinate placement of planned giving marketing materials in campus-wide and college publications and e-communications, annual fund efforts (where appropriate) and the SJSU planned giving website
- Coordinate with outside vendors in preparing lists for email/direct mail for new prospect recruitment.
- Assist as needed on cultivation plan for professional advisors
- Collaborate as appropriate with the UA Events staff, donors, alumni, ERFA, professional advisors and other community groups on the logistics of planned giving events, including the Heritage Society Luncheon and Reception, informational planned giving seminars and other presentations.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and six years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Four years of administrative work experience involving analysis, practices and procedures, and programs.
- Evidence of strong written communications skills; ability to write clearly and persuasively (As shown on the application) Evidence of attention to details
- Experience in program and project organization
- Experience in legal or financial, a plus
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Skills in event and project management
- Deep appreciation and understanding of the academic enterprise and the ability to articulate academic values internally and externally
- Sensitivity and understanding of Title IX issues, and an innate ability to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Strong verbal communication and strong writing skills and the ability to work as part of a collaborative team
- Unquestionable integrity and commitment to professional ethics
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, collaborative relationships
- Ability to maintain personal composure in high stress situations as well as establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- High level of initiative, attention to detail and organization skills
- Ability to responsibly handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Skillful in successfully managing multiple projects on tight deadlines and under pressure in a dynamic and open environment
- Ability to define problems, gather data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Proficient in Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite and ability to utilize fundraising database programs, and learn new tech platforms for project management
- Demonstrated spirit of flexibility and strong customer service ethic
March 7, 2018
Application Screening begins March 22, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046