Associate Vice President for Development / Executive Director of the Campaign (Apply via Search Fir
Job ID: 24490
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3300
Department: Development Univ Advancement
Classification: Administrator IV
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
About the Position
The Associate Vice President is a key member of the leadership team and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting fundraising. The AVP for Development ensures administrative oversight of the University's major gifts, planned giving, and corporate and foundation fundraising. Working closely in collaboration with and reporting to the Vice President for University Advancement, the incumbent fosters a collaborative team culture and establishes metrics for success. Leading by example, the AVP will effectively cultivate and successfully solicit a select portfolio of prospects and donors capable of making significant contributions to the institution.
The Associate Vice President (AVP) also carries the title of Executive Director of the Campaign. The incumbent is responsible for setting the strategic direction of the university's major gifts and comprehensive programs and will develop campaign strategies. The AVP, in conjunction with university leadership, will finalize and manage the campaign strategic plan; train volunteers and staff in campaign strategy and policies; and, provide supervisory functions for all major gift officers. The AVP will have management and supervision responsibilities for one support staff and a team of professional associates within University Advancement.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university, with preference for an advanced degree
- Minimum of ten years of experience with at least five years serving at the director level or above in a college or university;
- A background of progressively increased responsibility in a comprehensive and sophisticated fundraising program, including supervisory experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with an advanced degree
- Experience with metrics-driven major-gift fundraising programs and campaigns;
- Substantial experience as a front-line fundraiser including personal success in closing six and seven-figure gifts;
- Experience with capital campaign design, implementation, reporting cycles, communications and completion, with preference for multi-year comprehensive campaign experience in a college or university;
- Experience in recruiting, training, leading, and evaluating staff engaged in major-gift fundraising;
- Experience with all elements required for fundraising program success, including goal setting, target donor development, prospect cultivation, donor research, gift solicitation, acknowledgement, and stewardship;
- experience working with foundation management, reporting requirements, and governing board processes and support requirements.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of fundraising programs, including individual, grant development annual fund programs; and a thorough understanding of gift management and stewardship.
- Demonstrated strong public relations and communication skills.
- Skill in planning and executing large campaigns.
- Ability to work with boards comprised of prominent individuals of stature.
- Ability to manage and motivate volunteers and to work closely with faculty and senior-level administrators.
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret and extensive variety of technical instructions.
- Demonstrated organizational skills in budget management, and supervision of staff and staff development.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the use of information technology to support advancement programs.
- Strong oral and writing skills, including the ability to determine relevant information, from compelling cases for support, and digest and synthesize vast quantities of information.
March 8, 2018
Nominations and inquiries may be directed to Dr. Vance T. Peterson, Executive Search Consultant, AGB Search. Contact at [email protected] or 818-304-5233. Prospective candidates are invited to review the search profile outlining opportunities and requirements and including instructions for application. Although applications will be accepted until an appointment is made, candidates should submit materials as soon as possible, but no later than April 16, 2018 for full consideration.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Please apply at: https://www.agbsearch.com/searches/associate-vice-president-for-development-and-executive-director-of-the-campaign-san-jose
[email protected] Formal applications must include a cover letter responding to the opportunities, challenges, and expectations of development leadership; a complete resume or vita; and contact information (email and phone) for at least three professional references, none of whom will be contacted without prior knowledge and permission of the candidate.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Dr. Vance T. Peterson, Executive Search Consultant, AGB Search. Contact at [email protected] or 818-304-5233.