Job ID: 24493
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1730
Department: IES Financial Operations
Classification: Accounting Technician I
Salary Range: $2,710/month - $4,624/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of Operations and Finance and taking work lead direction from the College Resource Analyst, the Accounting Technician will provide office support in general accounting duties for the college; verify, reconcile, analyze, and summarize data based on knowledge of accounting practices and established university /departmental policies and financial systems. Working independently under general supervision, the incumbent will work closely with other University departments (e.g. Procurement, Accounts Payable) to process requisitions, pay vouchers, travel expense claims, employee reimbursements; identify and follow-up on billing, invoice/payment issues. The incumbent will perform accounting duties related to running system generated reports; exporting, updating and maintaining spreadsheets; preparing ad hoc reports using spreadsheet functions and mathematical calculations; account reconciliation; file and record maintenance and communicating established university policies and procedures to stakeholders and referring them to the appropriate staff member when more extensive interpretation is required.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Initiate process and manage timely workflow for all purchase requisitions, direct pay vouchers, travel expense, employee reimbursements, registrations, office supply orders, p-card, go card reconciliations, etc. for the college and ensure audit compliance with applicable policy and guidelines.
- Communicate with campus offices to coordinate work flow of open items, process requisitions and vouchers using university guidelines.
- Respond to vendor queries and provide applicable guideline for RFP's.
- Reconcile PO encumbrances to available budget and actual expenses.
- Coordinate fiscal year end reconciliation of open PO with Purchasing / Procurement.
- Provide guidance to other CIES staff and student assistants to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and requirements.
- Keep manager apprised of budgetary, financial and procedural issues concerning assigned projects.
- Provide input to streamline accounting procedures and internal controls.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities and equivalent to one year of clerical accounting or financial record-keeping experience which has provided the above knowledge and abilities.
- Experience and general knowledge of financial record-keeping, mathematical and general office methods, procedures, and practices.
- Accounts Payable and procurement experience
- Experience working with word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browser, query tools, and integrated financial systems.
- Excellent written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General knowledge of PeopleSoft.
- General knowledge of standard office procedures and computer software, including Microsoft Office products.
- Knowledge in accounting principles as applied to accounts payable and purchasing.
- Analytical skills and ability to be detail oriented.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to effectively multi-task with tight deadlines independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to identify a problem collects and analyzes data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and recommend solutions.
- Ability to problem solve and coordinate projects.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle and resolve conflicts in a professional, tactful manner.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment; handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
March 13, 2018
Application Screening begins April 2, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046