Associate Vice President for Strategic Communications and Marketing (Apply via Search Firm)
Job ID: 24494
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3300
Department: Strategic Comm and Marketing
Classification: Administrator IV
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Associate Vice President for Strategic Communications and Marketing will bear primary responsibility for devising and implementing a university-wide integrated marketing and communications plan that will positively advance the university's mission and vision to both internal and external audiences. In addition, while serving as a member of the divisions senior leadership team, s/he will advise the president and senior cabinet of the university on internal and external marketing and communications strategies to protect, build, and sustain a positive image of San Jose State University.
Reporting to the Vice President for University Advancement, the AVP will initially lead a staff of 11 tasked with further elevating the SJSU brand within Silicon Valley and beyond. A comprehensive strategic positioning document, new in late 2014 and entitled SJSU Power Source: A Multi-Platform Communication Guide, provides a brand roadmap for the university. As leader of the SJSU communications team, the AVPSC&M will participate fully in shaping overall strategy for university communications in his/her capacity as a key advisor to the president and vice president. In addition, the new AVP will be called upon to provide communications support for the upcoming campaign, now in feasibility testing.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college or university, with preference for an advanced degree
- Ten years of experience with at least five years serving at the director level or above
- Experience leading a sophisticated multi-platform communications program in a complex organization, preferably a college or university.
- Experience with metrics-driven communications, branding, and marketing.
- Experience with fundraising communications support, preferably in a capital campaign contect, including case statement development and completion.
- Experience with developing and implementing a multi-faceted communications and marketing plan involving web, social, video, print, and spoken word, including messaging and visual design.
- Experience managing director-level professionals within all disciplines of communications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work within a higher education institution having a sophisticated multi-platform communications Program.
- Knowledge with metrics-driven communications, branding, and marketing.
- Knowledge with capital campaign communications support, including case statement development and completion.
- Knowledge with developing and implementing a multi-faceted communications and marketing plan involving web, social, video, print, and spoken word, including messaging and visual design.
- Ability to managing director-level professionals within all disciplines of communications.
- Strong public relations and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret and extensive variety of technical instructions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to determine relevant information, from compelling cases for support, and digest and synthesize vast quantities of information.
- Ability to work cooperatively and supportively with colleagues, in varied teams, as well as independently.
- Ability to effectively present material and respond to queries from constituents and the public.
March 20, 2018
Application Screening begins April 16, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of Interest
Please apply at: https://www.agbsearch.com/searches/associate-vice-president-for-strategic-communications-and-marketing-san-jose-state
AVPcommunicationsSJSU@agbsearch.com. Formal applications must include a cover letter responding to the opportunities, challenges, and expectations of development leadership; a complete resume or vita; and contact information (email and phone) for at least three professional references, none of whom will be contacted without prior knowledge and permission of the candidate.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Dr. Vance T. Peterson, Executive Search Consultant, AGB Search. Contact at vance.peterson@AGBSearch.com or 818-304-5233.