Job ID: 24497
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt I
Anticipated Salary Range: $4,600/month - $5,100/month
Salary Range: $3,897/month - $6,647/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Department Chair, this position independently provides highly complex administrative support to the Department Chair, faculty, students and staff in the Psychology Department. The position is responsible for the department budget and office operations, maintaining the long term fiscal continuity of the department and its multiple funds which include: CSU Operating Fund ($3.1M), CERF ($60K), Endowments, Tower and Scholarship Accounts ($216K), Research Foundation Accounts ($322K). Psychology is also home to largest Research grant ever received by SJSU of about $89M. The person holding this position is responsible for analysis of operations, fiscal management, planning and administration of operational systems, and recommendations to the Chair and faculty regarding strategic choices and appropriate timing for department investment of resources. Responsibilities also include overseeing day to day administrative departmental operations and providing work lead/direction to others. The Psychology department has 1,500 majors, 24 tenured/tenure-track faculty, approximately 30-40 temporary faculty. We have approximately 140 class sections generating approximately 950-1000 FTES/semester. Psychology is a very complex department providing students opportunities to gain practical experience by working with our Psychology faculty in research labs, community outreach projects, Silicon Valley companies etc. The Department offers a BA and BS in Psychology, a minor in Human Systems Integration and a minor in Psychology, an MA in Research and Experimental Psychology, an MS in Clinical Psychology, and an MS in Industrial and Organizational Psychology and has an active Honors program. These degrees, programs and the number of majors greatly increase the complexity of a very large department.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Project annual department budget based on analysis of past and projected expenditures.
- Analyze fiscal needs, set budget and allocations, administer accounts for department programs.
- Analyze department fiscal performance and status of department activities and make regular reports to chair and faculty as required.
- Compile and analyze department expenditure data and respond to budget inquiries and related problems in order to provide assistance in resolving budget issues.
- Reconcile department allocations and budgets with College Manager Academic Resources.
- Support Chair and faculty in developing department's strategic planning and reconciling with available resources.
- Responsible for the temporary faculty appointment process, and temp pool management, assuring the department maintains accurate and compliant applicant pools.
- Serve as a resource for faculty, staff, students and the public on university policy and procedures.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Administrative experience working in an office with complex and diverse tasks similar to those in the Department of Psychology in the College of Social Sciences.
- Experience analyzing and projecting enrollment and annual budgets based on past and present data.
- Experience working with course scheduling, faculty appointments, (temporary and permanent), recruitments, and other Faculty Affairs/HR procedures.
- Experience with University policies and procedures specifically dealing with the Procurement Services, FD&O, Admissions and Records, Tower/Research Foundation.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), PeopleSoft, CMS/FTS/CFS, Interfolio and email programs such as Gmail.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Experience supervising staff.
March 19, 2018
Application Screening begins April 5, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Letter of Recommendation
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046