Undergraduate Admissions Evaluator
Job ID: 24504
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3082
Department: Undergrad Admissions&Outreach
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Anticipated Salary Range: $4,062/month - $4,143/month
Salary Range: $4,057/month - $5,769/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Undergraduate Admissions Evaluator performs complex student services professional work within a centralized admissions environment to determine student applicant's' admissibility to the university by following CSU regulations, policies and procedures under general supervision of the Director of Undergraduate Admissions and Outreach. The incumbent is primarily responsible for complex tasks regarding all processes related to admission evaluation, verification, and posting of transfer credit. The objective in all interactions is to provide information regarding policies and procedures, to suggest actions that will resolve issues, and to establish cordial and collegial relationships with those contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Outreach.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides admissions criteria for both Freshmen and Transfer applicants both domestic and international.
- Verifies and processes academic records; transcripts for transfer credits and advance standing credits that are valid toward transfer and or graduation requirements.
- Reviews, evaluates, and processes all documents; transcripts and admissions in a timely manner.
- Assesses domestic and international student's academic documents and transcripts to determine admission eligibility for both Freshmen and Transfer applicants.
- Assists students by answering questions, explains various documents that may be requested for the application process, including transcripts, test scores and documents related to domestic and international admission processes.
- Assists students in appropriate appeal processes, provides customer service functions, and advises applicants on requirements via one-on-one meetings, phone and e-mail communications, and university outreach activities.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job related field and two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master's degree in a job related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience working in a higher education enrollment services environment, admissions, records, and/or evaluations.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting college/high school transcripts, documents, process requirements and university policies regarding admissions and enrollment.
- Experience with PeopleSoft and customer service based technology systems.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Experience in communicating admissions and or student services policies and procedures to community college, university, or high school constituents.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to reason logically and analyze data to make informed decisions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive communications with students, parents, staff, faculty and external agencies.
- Ability to identify problems and find resolutions in an efficient manner.
- Utilizes or learns to utilize CMS for record keeping and to rerieve information.
- Ability to develop and lead presentations and workshops.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data.
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Knowledge of technology and software applications such as: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and communication tools.
- Ability to rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions and programs of the campus.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment. Must plan and execute multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to identify conflict, problem solve, and resolve student problems and concerns in the most efficient manner possible.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement small and large scale events to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment for nonresident students.
March 22, 2018
Application Screening begins April 9, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046