Study Abroad Coordinator
Job ID: 24506
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3084
Department: Int'nl Student &Scholar Servcs
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Salary Range: $4,421/month - $6,299/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of International Student and Scholar Services, the Study Abroad Coordinator oversees the daily operations of the exchange programs through all stages of the study abroad process. Supports development of strategic plans, collaborates with faculty and overseas partners to develop programs, and creates and maintains systems for managing academic alignment. The Study Abroad Coordinator promotes student mobility, maintains exchange program contracts, and advises SJSU students on study options. The Coordinator creates and implements opportunities for international student exchanges in all forms.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Supports international student activities and orientations
- Manages application and student support systems for study abroad programs including financial aid, enrollment, transcripts, credit transfer
- Manages and processes applications and support and assist enrollment of visiting international students both within and outside partnership contracts through a database
- Promotes international education through workshops, fairs, social media, scholarship information, website
- Engages with administrative and academic units to enhance student engagement on campus and in the community
- Collaborates with SJSU academic departments to offer exchange opportunities
- Determines and implements strategic plan for establishing partnerships
- Develops contacts and maintains relationships with partner universities.
- Maintains current and accurate data on all student mobility programs and creates reports.
- Configures and maintains web-based Terra Dotta software and Study Abroad webpage.
- Creates budgets and allocates expenses to best serve student needs
- Assesses student exchange experiences and learning outcomes
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related and three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
- Experience studying abroad
- Study Abroad advising experience
- Experience providing support to international students at a university level
- Excellent written communication skills (Based on application materials)
- Excellent organizational skills (Based on application materials)
- Experience in marketing and outreach to an educational group
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the field of international education
- Knowledge of CSU, SJSU, CSUIP study abroad policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with web-based Study Abroad software
- Proficiency in foreign language
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Competency in use of relational databases
- Strong organization skills with attention to detail
- Skills to implement current and upcoming social media platforms
- Skills in various modes of program evaluation
- Ability to perform accurate in a detail-oriented environment that may include rapidly changing circumstances
- Ability to communicate effectively with students one-on-one and in groups
- Ability for long-term planning
- Ability to collaborate with international and domestic partners (CSU-IP, ISEP, Bilateral exchange partners, etc.).
- Ability to assess and evaluate new and existing partnerships
- Ability to query data to produce meaningful reports
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with faculty and staff in academic and administrative roles
- Ability to organize events
- Ability to set and meet budget goals
March 27, 2018
Application Screening begins April 13, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Every applicant who reaches the final level of interviews will be required to complete a background check. The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046