Director of Human Resources
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a Director of Human Resources, who is dedicated, enthusiastic, and reliable.
The Director of Human Resources provides overall guidance in the development and administration of the Human Resource function at Southwestern Michigan College. This is a very visible position and requires a high level of confidentiality, trust and professionalism. The consistent application of College policies is required to insure that all employees are treated fairly and within the guidelines established by the Board of Trustees. Duties and responsibilities of the Director of Human Resources include, but are not limited to the following:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Annually reviews and makes recommendations to Cabinet for improvement of the College’s policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters.
• Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures the College’s compliance.
• Maintains responsibility for College compliance with federal and state legislation pertaining to all personnel matters.
• Work within and administer policies in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
• Participate in the grievance process, contract negotiations, and arbitration.
• Communicates changes in the College’s personnel policies and procedures and ensures proper compliance is followed.
• Assists in the annual budget hearing process to assist the College with personnel vacancies, additional headcount needs, or other personnel issues that may affect the annual budget.
• Consults with legal counsel as appropriate, or as directed by the President, Chief of Staff or VP-Chief Business Officer on personnel matters.
• Works directly with department managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
• Recommends, evaluates and participates in staff development for the College.
• Supervises the staff of the human resource department.
• Maintains detailed job descriptions for all approved positions.
• Conducts the annual Fall New Employee Orientation session.
• Conducts the initial review of all employment applications and provide recommendations to Management on all new hires.
• Establishes procedures to insure that all personnel files are complete with required forms prescribed by College policies.
• Manages and administers the employee benefits (i.e. Health Insurance, Tuition Programs, Wellness programs, etc.) and communicates any changes to all employees as needed.
• Serves as the Chair of the Wellness Committee and Recognition Committee.
• Assists in the development of policies that insure employees and students are being provided with a safe working and learning environment.
• Maintain MIOSHA safety training records and ensures all employees are in compliance with annual trainings in conjunction with the Safety Coordinator.
• Manages all unemployment claims, workers compensation claims and cases of employees utilizing the FMLA.
• Participates in State and regional Human resource organizations to insure that Southwestern Michigan College is aware of current trends in Human Resources and that Southwestern Michigan College remains informed about current trends.
• Participates on committees and special projects and seeks additional responsibilities.
• Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Vice-President and Chief of Staff or the President.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field required and one of the following:
o Eight (8) years’ managerial and supervisory experience in public or private personnel management preferred, OR
o A Master’s degree in personnel management or public administration; and three (3) years’ general experience in the HR field preferred, OR
o Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
• PHR and SHRM-CP Certification required; SPHR and SHRM-SCP preferred.
• Must be results-oriented and demonstrate strategic thinking, innovation, flexibility in dealing with changing and ambiguous situations.
• Demonstrated success conducting comprehensive needs analysis, organization design and development initiatives, implementing change models and developing organization structures while proactively driving ongoing optimization efforts.
• Excellent project management skills including successful leadership of projects from planning phase through completion.
• Excellent leadership skills including; superb communication, delivery of results, consultative skills, partnership skills and team building.
• Normal work hours will be Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm. The majority of work hours will be spent in a professional office environment. Weekend and evening hours travel may be required.
Posting Number 20110662
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree or higher?
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email