Utility Financial Analyst
CU Boulder's Facilities Management invites applications for a Utilities Financial Analyst to support Utility and Energy Services work unit by developing, implementing, evaluating, and monitoring departmental budgets, financial information, and management reports. This role assists with the financial oversight of operations for three utility plants and provides recommendations for a course of action based on financial analyses. This role analyzes complex utility meter data for billing and reconciliation, assists with campus utility consumption estimates, projections, and forecasting, supports the development of rate structures, and bills customers for utility consumption.
Who we are:
The Utility & Energy Services Group is responsible for the safe, reliable, and efficient production and distribution of steam, chilled water, domestic water, stormwater, sewer, and electricity at the University of Colorado Boulder.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Develop, monitor, and adjust budgetary models based on projected utility consumption, plant operating expenditures, and capital needs.
- Assist with the financial oversight of operations and providing recommendations for a course of action based on financial analysis.
- Monitor and evaluate revenue, expenses, and encumbrances against budgets and utility data; prepare reports to advise management of current and projected financial condition utilizing University financial system, work order system, Utilities management systems, and utility billing system.
- Monitor Utility projects, prepare internal project forms, oversee project cash transfers, and prepare reports.
- Identify compliance issues regarding University Fiscal Rules and University purchasing and contracting procedures, with support of Infrastructure and Safety accounting and purchasing staff, and refer to appropriate parties to rectify.
- Compile utility data to calculate, record, and issue Utility & Energy Services utility billings to campus and other utility consumers using Utility software.
- Determine setup and creation of new utility accounts and revisions to existing utility accounts using Utility software.
- Monitor utility consumption and identify trends and problems. Calculate estimated consumption when utility data is not available.
Utility Rate Development
- Support utility rate development, evaluation, and implementation. Monitor utility rates for compliance with University and Federal cost accounting rules.
- Analyze standards and rates for alternative solutions to Utility Services funding needs. Inform campus departments of rate and anticipated changes, including filing appropriate forms.
- Assist with annual budget presentation. In concert with University Tax Accountant, assess impact of Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT), if any, on Utility Services operations and implement appropriate measures to ensure compliance, including submitting necessary reports.
- Maintain depreciation schedules for fixed assets.
Procurement & Accounts Payable
- Create, monitor, and approve procurement and Accounts Payable documents.
- Train and assist Utility and Energy Services staff in financial procedures and University rules and regulations.
- Investigate and resolve issues using University financial software.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position is $48,000-$55,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be strategic. Be adaptable. Be collaborative. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with at least 27 semester credit hours of accounting and auditing coursework. Full-time professional accounting experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis.
- Experience with customized and standardized financial reporting and analysis, technical support in the form of finance system journal entries and reconciliation, financial research, regular financial results meetings and presentations, and business process analysis.
What you will need:
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing utilizing informal and formal communication.
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience in government, higher education and/or utilities accounting.
- Experience with ad hoc query and reporting utilizing query tools.
- Experience with PeopleSoft and Cognos.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 19, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-13043.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10492 - Facilities Management
Posting Date: Mar 29, 2018
Closing Date: Apr 19, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00744898