Office Assistant 2 - Calculations
Office Assistant 2 - Calculations-1800672
Our Office Assistant 2 (Calculations) spend most of their work time performing mathematical operations, and/or clerical activities related to mathematical operations, in the service of agency or program functions, as described primarily in the Calculations section of the illustrative duties listed above. These activities may include creating spreadsheets, using calculators, and other means of performing calculations. The positions duties may incorporate, but are not limited to, financial (including record-keeping, bookkeeping, and reconciliation activities), purchasing, or statistical functions.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, knowledge and understanding of patient care and effectively respond to changing patient needs by making decisions based on ethical principles and adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of an Office Assistant 2 (Calculations) may include the following but are not limited to:
- Process transactions which require mathematical calculation and knowledge of the program area where assigned.
- Contact, by mail or phone, appropriate staff to obtain information necessary for the calculation and processing of claims, tax returns or other documents.
- Compile financial and other data for the preparation of budget documents and other financial reports.
- Review unit or department financial forms (e.g., vouchers) for conformance with approved spending.
- Compute statistical calculations, such as averages, percents, proportions, algebraic formulas, etc., by hand, using a calculator or a computer.
- Prepare reports by collecting, compiling, computing and displaying data; recommending or formatting graphic presentations of statistical data; making calculations for various tests of statistical significance; editing and validating
information and writing narrative.
- Maintain accounts for a major account clerical function, e.g., accounts receivable or payable, of an agency having a large accounts maintenance operation and a large volume of transactions or for all clerical accounts maintenance and processing activities for an agency, division or program or a small business office. Transactions include those that require multiple entries in different records. Compile and prepare financial data for budgetary purposes, and reconcile accounts with bank statements and control ledgers and resolve discrepancies.
- Receive payments in person or by mail (taxes, fees, etc.).
- Reconcile money received with value of receipts or tickets issued.
- Prepare checks or other payment devices to pay bills or as a refund or advance.
Required Qualifications: MUST have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service list.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience answering Customer Service phones, handling customer complaints and questions, recording details of inquiries, comments and complaints in the system, obtain and evaluate all relevant information to handle inquiries and complaints. Ability to use a computer with high level accuracy and few errors (96% accuracy rate or higher). Experience with Microsoft Excel/Word. Good communication and interpersonal skills. Good phone etiquette due to high call volume. Ability to learn quickly. Must be attentive to details.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: Office Assistant 2 (Calculations)
Job Field: Civil Service Positions
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: 38130700-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 10:00AM - 6:00PM38130700-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Mar 29, 2018
Posting End Date: Apr 28, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG9