Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date March 29, 2018
Position Title Senior Accountant
Vacancy # V-1422
Department Finance and Treasury
Division Treasury And Finance
The Senior Accountant is member of the Controller's staff who is responsible for ensuring accurate general ledger account balances that are substantiated by the timely completion of monthly account analysis and reconciliations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Senior Accountant reports directly to the Assistant Director of General Accounting & Reporting. Major duties and responsibilities of this position include:
Financial Reporting / Analysis - this position is responsible for the assisting the Assistant Director of General Accounting & Reporting in preparing timely and accurate financial reports. This includes:
• Annual audited financial statements, including footnotes and MD&A
• Monthly and quarterly management reports
• Surveys, external and internal
• Regulatory reporting
• Others as assigned
General Accounting - this position is responsible for the accounting for capital assets including construction in progress, capital leases and prepaid assets. This includes:
• Creating and monitoring a system of controls, procedures, and forms for the recordation of these assets
• Recommending to management any updates to accounting policies related to the accounting for these assets.
• Preparing timely and accurate account analysis on assigned accounts
• Reviewing account balances for completeness and the proper classification of transactions
• Preparing audit schedules and assisting with audit inquiries
Cash Management - this position is responsible for the supervision of the cash management staff and processes. This includes
• Automating the cash management and bank reconciliation process.
• Reviewing bank reconciliations.
• Resolving reconciliation items timely.
• Preparing cash flow forecasting reports.
• Maintaining banking and accounting controls by following
• Recommending improvements to policies and procedures.
Special Projects and Other Assignments - the senior accountant will provide support on special projects as assigned by his/her supervisor(s). These included but are not limited to:
• Participating in the Workday Core implementation training and testing. Provide feedback and recommendations for system design improvements.
• Workday or PeopleSoft projects which may include: testing system implementations, upgrades, or enhancements; analyzing data in primary and 3rd party systems; developing ad hoc reports; and participating in improvement initiatives.
• Assisting in internal audits (i.e. corporate credit cards) which are conducted by the Controller's office.
• Meeting deliverable deadlines
• Assisting stakeholders and requestors so they understand account balances and content
• Assisting the Financial Reporting area in understanding account balances
• Receiving and resolving helpdesk tickets as first level support for the GL module
• Providing end user training/guidance in one on one and group settings
• Staying knowledgeable of current GAAP as issued by GASB and FASB
• Escalating unresolved issues to the upper management as appropriate
• Performing other duties as assigned
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited University or college, CPA preferred
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles as issued by GASB and FASB
• At least 7 years of experience in preparing account analysis and reconciliations, preferably in a public accounting
• High precision in work
• Experience using PeopleSoft, Workday Financials (preferred), or a similar ERP cloud system
• Experienced in data mining
• Exemplifying excellent customer service
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills
• Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail
• Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize
• Advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables and macros
• Professional demeanor
• Strong interpersonal and team building skills
• Decision making and troubleshooting skills
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION