Occupational Health & Employee Medical Services Provider
Posting Date March 27, 2018
Position Title Occupational Health & Employee Medical Services Provider
Vacancy # TEMP#032718
Department Academic Affairs
Division Academic Affairs
*** This is a part-time position, for 20 hours weekly. *** The Provider of Employee Health is responsible for the overall management of the Employee Health service which includes occupational health care, injury management, immunization services, travel planning, medical surveillance for Animal Researchers and OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) mandated programs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
CLINICAL CARE (85%)
- Provides direct clinical services as described:
- Examination for those employees enrolled in medical surveillance programs as mandated by OSHA and OLAW including hearing, respirator, asbestos, animal worker and live virus worker examinations and follow-up.
- Clinical care of employees with work-related injury and illness, with consultation or referral for follow-up care or rehabilitative services where appropriate.
- Case management of workers' compensation and short term disability cases.
- Close collaboration with outside physicians and consultants to communicate a philosophy of early return to work and transitional work possibilities.
- Interpretation of specialized testing with regard to medical surveillance including laboratory tests, x-rays, hearing tests and spirometry.
- Organization, scheduling and administration of the drug and alcohol testing for those employees as applicable.
- Administration of immunizations in conjunction with a comprehensive travel planning service offered for faculty and staff through Employee Health.
- Limited consultation for episodic health care issues with which employees may need assistance (i.e. suture removal, tick removal, conjunctivitis, blood pressure check, routine immunizations).
- Emergency triage and episodic illness/injury care for employees who present to UHS or referral for same.
- Ensure complete documentation of medical visits, OSHA mandated examinations and phone consultation through use of the electronic medical record while maintaining confidentiality.
HEALTH PROMOTION & EDUCATION (15%)
- Supports, encourages and participates in health promotion programs in the workplace. These programs are designed to reduce injury and promote health and wellbeing of University staff and faculty by collaborating with the offices of Health Promotion and Wellness, Human Resources and Environmental Health and Safety (i.e. smoking cessation program, screening programs, and blood borne pathogen training).
- Collaborates with University departments including Risk Management, Human Resources, Environmental Health and Safety and department managers toward a common goal of maintaining and promoting the health and safety of faculty and staff
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Selected candidates will be contacted directly.
Qualifications & Requirements
- New Jersey licensure as a nurse practitioner with certification or physician's assistant.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of experience in an occupational health program and supervision of administrative support staff.
- Ability to handle complex employer/employee health related issues and problem solve with sensitivity and knowledge of state/federal regulations and university policy.
- Working knowledge of OSHA mandated health programs, workers' compensation laws and regulations, short term disability and the Americans with Disabilities Act in the context of addressing health and safety issues at work.
- BLS/AED certification.
- Computer literacy including familiarity with electronic health records
- Management skills and demonstrated leadership ability.
- Certification as a COHN-S or other occupational health professional certification.
Commensurate with experience. Please include your desired pay in your cover letter.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Research Integrity and Compliance at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will need to combine your cover letter, resume or CV into one single document (PDF).
(include TEMP#032718 in the subject line)
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION