Hazardous Waste Supervisor
8AM - 5PM
$75,400 - $111,900
The Hazardous Waste Supervisor is a member of the Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) team that provides support and supervision for environmental protection programs, including: hazardous waste control, documentation, tracking, and compliance; waste collection and management; online waste tag program WASTe; chemical inventory; and controlled substances. Provides supervision, direction, and training to a team of Haz Waste Technicians and Specialists. Oversees and coordinates activities related to the operation and maintenance of the EH&S hazardous materials management facility, including repair and maintenance of regulated waste operations equipment. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of regulatory requirements for regulated waste management; advises staff and campus personnel on required regulated waste management procedures and correct hazard categorization, containerization and labeling for storage and transport. Evaluates laboratory compliance during waste pickups; reports findings, suggests corrective actions, and follows-up to ensure actions have been implemented. Participates in the evaluation, development and improvement of regulated waste data management systems to maintain compliance, and measure and improve performance. Ensures internal controls, safety procedures, and protocols are maintained in all facets of the operations. Provides other operational support to EH&S as necessary.
Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of EH&S technical requirements, logistics, materials and operations, rules, regulations, laws, etc.
Skills to effectively direct and supervise subordinate staff who are assigned duties in different programs; skills to effectively integrate several highly regulated subject and program areas.
Solid skills to appropriately, efficiently and effectively respond to emergencies and critical situations.
Solid skills to organize, prioritize and complete projects within budget and time constraints.
Solid written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills, including strong skills to interact successfully with a widely diverse population.
Thorough knowledge and skill in applying and interpreting applicable local, state, and federal regulations and related standards and guidelines.
Strong skill to appropriately use technology and relevant scientific equipment as required.
Demonstrated skill in handing, identifying, labeling and storing all regulated waste streams. Ability to monitor for radioactive contamination in laboratories and vehicles.
Strong knowledge of and ability for decision making, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, and perform operations analysis, and quality control analysis.
Strong knowledge and skill in effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to other personnel.
Ability to provide services in support of the mission of UCR and EH&S, maximizing customer service, excellence and continuous improvement.
Demonstrated skill in giving presentations and providing training.
Thorough knowledge of hazardous waste program or environmental health & safety program involved with chemical, radioactive, and/or biological hazardous waste management.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview