Asst Dir of Veteran Success
Requisition Number STA - 201000000605
Job Title Asst Dir of Veteran Success
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Asst Dir of Veteran Success.
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
This position is responsible for providing vision, direction, program development and daily administration of the Veterans Success Center. This position reports to the Assistant Dean of Students for Student Engagement. The Assistant Director of Veteran Success is responsible for assessing prospective and continuing student veteran's needs and developing programs to ensure access and promote success. Work involves establishing best practices; increasing the student veteran population at UNT Dallas; and representing veteran's campus-wide by collaborating with other departments on special events, coordinating student leadership opportunities and student veteran's orientations.
- Promotes and delivers existing Student Affairs services, activities, organizations, and volunteer opportunities to veterans and other non-traditional students through the effective use of web sites, chat, multimedia, online communities, email lists, publications, and face to face meetings.
- Fosters a culture of trust and connectedness across the university community that promotes well-being and success for student veterans.
- Prepare and delivers reports in both oral and written formats.
- Maintains a master calendar of all Veteran related programs.
- Prepares and monitors department budget, submitting timely reports to supervisor.
- Learn and implement best practices and enhance understanding of the specific needs of student veterans.
- Conducts research through the use of surveys and assessment in order to be aware of students' needs as well as the latest trends regarding student services.
- Develops long lasting partnerships with veteran serving organizations and post-secondary institutions to garner community resources.
- Stays up to date on emerging technology and student issues which may be of use in supporting non-traditional students.
- Provides vision, direction, program development and daily administration of the Veterans Success Center.
- Responsible for assessing prospective and continuing student veterans needs and developing programs to ensure access and promote success.
- Responsible for hosting events and webinars dedicated to new and returning veterans.
- Develop and update public relations materials and social media/technology to communicate services.
- Develops policies and procedures for Veteran Success Center and its operations.
- Ensures all projects meet deadlines and clearly articulates outcomes.
- Work closely with other departments on special events, coordinating student leadership opportunities and student veterans orientations.
- Manage complex student issues, including but not limited to, transitioning from the military to higher education, selecting courses, understanding campus requirements, personal development and academic skills building, university withdrawal and appeals, providing short-term military leave support and tracking, and exploring career options and preparing for life after UNT Dallas.
- Develops partnerships with national organizations, community colleges, local community-based organizations with the intention of meeting local veterans' educational needs, establishes best practices and increasing the veteran population at UNT Dallas; represents veterans on campus-wide and local communities and boards.
- Manages the UNT Dallas Veterans Affairs Work Study Program.
- Pursues external funding opportunities in coordination with University Advancement to enhance services to student veterans.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess Master's Degree in related field and 2 years of student services, student affairs, counseling, advising, or related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Experience with military service and veteran's educational benefits and experience in budget development, monitoring and analysis.
- Experience in assisting veteran's transition to civilian life.
- Experience working higher education or with higher education institutions, public and/or private.
- Knowledge of best practices as it relates to veteran's success.
- Knowledge of group process training and development practices.
- Knowledge of the mentoring process.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Master's Degree in related field and 5 years of student services, student affairs, counseling, advising, or related experience with at least 2 years specifically in Veteran's Affairs.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Standard 8am-5pm with some weekends and nights.
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Ph D
- * How many years of student services, student affairs, counseling, advising, or related experience do you have?
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)