Administrative Assistant VI
Administrative Assistant VI
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: Research Solutions Institute
Position Status: Administrative Non-Exempt Positions
This position is the primary administrative support person for WPI's Research Solutions Institute (RSI) and serves as a key RSI staff interface in engaging with faculty, university, and external stakeholders. The Administrative Assistant VI provides proficient and discreet oversight of the RSI office and performs diverse managerial and senior administrative tasks for the RSI staff/office. In addition to the primary role in supporting RSI at the departmental unit level, secondary responsibilities as directed include providing staff assistance to WPI's Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) and to designated WPI research initiatives (for example, the WPI Healthcare Delivery Institute). The Administrative Assistant VI is responsible for all departmental organizational, administrative, and clerical duties, and maintains working knowledge of RSI's initiatives, programs, and office systems, as well as university policies and procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides administrative support to RSI and any RSI-associated projects/initiatives, covering all administrative matters including those of a confidential nature.
• Maintains department budget records. Prepares and processes purchase orders, invoices, and department transfers. Prepares documents for staff review and signature.
• Collects and maintains records and prepares reports related to grant-supported activities with which RSI is actively involved, such as Manufacturing USA cost sharing data.
• Oversees data management responsibilities for RSI and any RSI-associated projects/initiatives, including information organization and storage.
• Schedules appointments and meetings as needed for RSI staff.
• Assists with preparations for meetings held at RSI’s facilities or elsewhere, as needed. Such event planning assistance would typically include coordinating event promotion, ordering catered food, scheduling event space, etc.
• Acts as the approved departmental travel preparer, and makes travel arrangements and event registrations as needed or requested.
• Prepares all check requests, expense reports, department transfers, and cash receipts for RSI and any RSI-associated projects/initiatives.
• Performs special projects as assigned, and other duties as required.
• Handles any and all matters and issues related to the RSI office and personnel (orders keys and parking cards, handles any building or office issues, works with WPI Helpdesk and Network Operations in regards to IT equipment, services, and phones, mail and delivery services, etc.)
• Answers inquiries; gathers information requiring discretion and a wide variety/depth of knowledge of office operations and procedures.
• Maintains inventory and orders office supplies for the group.
• Updates office procedures as changes occur.
• Greets RSI visitors and responds directly to those inquiries not requiring interpretation by the RSI staff.
• Handles correspondence and communications with internal and external contacts.
• Maintains and prepares content for websites, including updating and approving all data, and/or working with IT to accomplish this.
Coverage of Additional Projects/Programs:
As RSI evolves as a research business unit and finds itself coordinating particular research initiatives and activities of strategic value to the university in the future, the Administrative Assistant VI may be asked to cover additional project or program administrative responsibilities related to those new RSI-managed efforts. These might include, for example, administrative support for research initiatives in developmental stages before sustainable long-term funding is secured.
Requires an intelligent, friendly, and well-organized individual with very good interpersonal, communication (written and verbal), and time management skills and a commitment to deadlines.
Ability to work autonomously and handle/coordinate multiple complex tasks simultaneously with accuracy and attention to detail.
Competence in web-related tasks including social media and website management.
Excellent judgment and organization skills required.
Bachelor’s degree is a plus with 5 years of experience preferably in higher education.
Posting Date: 03/22/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
(Hiring Range: $15.35-$16.50)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5500