Job Category: UIAA Corporate UIAA Corporate
Description: University of Illinois System
University of Illinois Alumni Alliance
The University of Illinois Alumni Alliance seeks a Senior Editor to, work closely with the Editorial Director to develop editorial content that engages, inspires and connects alumni from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS). He/she assures consistent editorial standards across all media platforms operated by the UI Alumni Alliance: magazines, e-newsletters, mass emails, social media sites and websites. The Senior Editor works closely with the Senior Designer as well as with freelance writers and photographers to ensure that content (textually and visually) is appropriate for each type of media platform. In addition, the Senior Editor manages the production cycle of Illinois Alumni and UIC Magazine, and serves as the Editor of UIS Alumni magazine. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Assists the Editorial Director with efforts to support a multi-media platform, which includes magazines, e-newsletters, websites and social media.
2. Works with the Editorial Director to help prepare an editorial calendar for each University's alumni publication (Illinois Alumni, UIS Alumni and UIC Magazine), websites (Illinois Alumni, University of Illinois Alumni Alliance), e-newsletters (Illinois Alumni) and social media sites (Illinois Alumni Facebook, Linked-In, Twitter, and Instagram).
3. Supervises an editorial assistant.
4. Works closely with Senior Art Director to ensure that high standards of graphic excellence are achieved on U of I System-branded alumni magazines, websites and social media sites.
5. For Illinois Alumni and UIC Magazine assigns and edits feature articles, and produces front and back of the book sections (including campus-related news stories, class notes, class notes sidebars, obituaries).
6. Manages Illinois Alumni and UIC Magazine through the production cycle, including working with outside proofreaders.
7. Serves as Editor of UIS Alumni, published three times per year. Assigns and edits two to three feature articles; assigns photography; researches, writes and assembles front and back of the book sections (including campus news, class notes, “SSU in Review” and “Viewfinder” departments). Works closely with designer at UIS and her production team to produce each issue on a timely basis.
8. Maintains an Excel spreadsheet of suitable news stories, feature articles and alumni profiles for Illinois Alumni, UIS Alumni and UIC Magazine.
9. Implements social media strategies and tactics that build and engage audiences.
10. Stays abreast of trends in e-newsletter, social media and website operations, to ensure UI Alumni Alliance digital platforms are using best practices and being effectively and effectively operated.
11. Analyzes data generated by e-newsletters, social media sites and websites. Uses this data to adjust tactics and operations as needed.
12. Develops and executes operating procedures that maximize audience engagement for e-newsletters, mass emails, social media sites and websites.
13. Writes Illinois Alumni e-newsletter and edits mass emails.
14. Writes, edits and posts materials for Illinois-Alumni affiliated social media sites (e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter).
15. Re-purposes magazine content for websites; writes corresponding promotional highlight blurbs for social media channels.
16. Coordinates the production of digital editions of Illinois Alumni, UIS Alumni and UIC Magazine.
17. Supports other UIAA units with writing, editing and proofreading services.
Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in related field with seven (7) years of progressive editorial experience. Additional requirements include: must process a thorough understanding of the pre-press and printing process; extensive experience (preferably consumer, trade or alumni magazine) writing, editing and publishing content across multiple media platforms (e.g. print, website, social media); must have experience conceiving, writing and editing feature-length narrative articles (2,000-words and more); and assigning and managing freelance writers; must have the ability to adjust writing and editing styles for different forms of media and promotional content; must have a strong sense for design (both print and digital) and be an excellent content packager; must be an accomplished copyeditor and proofreader; and be familiar with proof-readers marks and the Associated Press Manual of Style; firm understanding of Microsoft Office.
Preferred qualifications include: experience developing and implementing systems and tactics to migrate print content to digital operation; familiarity with content-management systems such as WordPress; familiarity with and a strong commitment to academic community and environment, in particular the U of I System; and master's degree in magazine writing and editing.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by April 17, 2018 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The system offices conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services
The system offices is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The system offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Close Date: 04/17/2018